New to forum and to Mac's (sort-of).

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tokyoracer, Jan 21, 2010.

1. tokyoracer macrumors newbie

Hi there people, really not sure where to post a welcome message but rather then collecting old Mac's and keeping it all to myself, I thought I could do with some guidence, advice and support from others that may have ALOT more experiance then myself.

Before I go onto my collection I think it may interest people (maybe yourself) what my story is.
    My first real experiance with Mac's where at my high school (around 2001 - 2004) when they had a selection of PowerPC ones (all beige models) but one was different from the others (bigger and faster).
    To be honest I don't remember what the badges said but i'm certain at-least 1 was a PPC model and the smaller ones may have been either Performa's or other less specified PowerMac's. All I really know is that they where all beige models.

Sadly the inevitable happend and they where replaced with Windoze machines but I knew I wanted one and I prefer the cream ones to the later more shiney colourful ones or the white iMac's. I just don't like the look of the later ones (though some of the really modern ones I think are rather nice looking, Mac Mini for example).

Just a few months ago I priced up my first Mac at a 2nd hand shopt near where I live and although I think I paid a little over the odds at the time I was happy to start the hobby. It is a PowerMac 6100/60 PPC model and came with a monitor, mouse and keyboard. Not long later I added a 7100/66 with a CD drive and lots of cool stuff on the HD to play about with (is noticeably faster too).
    Finally yesterday I took collection of 2 Performa's (450 and 630) from eBay and they are all really good fun.

Growing up around computers (that wern't Win boxes) may have helped as I had an Amiga A1200 since late '92 or early '93. Im also an avid collector of Amiga's too! :)

I hope there are other "classic / vintage" Apple collectors out there so I know i'm not alone... :apple:

2. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Hey, welcome to Mac Rumors forums!

You are not alone, I used to be addicted to collecting, whenever I saw a good deal on Craigslist, I couldn't pass them up. Though I am starting to sell off my collection.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Collecting Macs is a pretty fun hobby. Though a lot of people may think its odd, its surprising how many of us do it. I am more hesitant about what I add to my collection now than I used to be ( I don't pick up just anything anymore) I still add to my collection every now and again, but I'm running out of systems I want or can justify owning (I'm nearing 30 systems now). Good luck in future conquests & welcome to the club!

4. tokyoracer thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it will come to a point where I will have to either turn down or sell off Mac's when space is low or I get a model that is almost identical but better performance. Let me know if your getting rid of any beige colour'd machines (if your in the UK). :)

Great to see a 'Chicken Lips' logo on a Mac forum!

Like I said above, I think I will have my limits but I see you have a nice 350Mhz beige G3 which is really on my 'Hotlist' along with the 9600/350. (I think) they where one of the last machines before they made the cases more colourful and funny shaped (so-to-speak). Forgive me if im wrong...

I am also after accelerators too along with some expansion card though these dont seem to corp up that often on eBay.

5. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

I used to have a PowerBook 165, but I tossed it for whatever reason, I am also in Canada.

6. tokyoracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh that's a shame. Thanks for replying to my post though. :)

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hello welcome to the forum
    i am one of the people who love the odd shaped Macs
    cant go pass a iMac g3 without taking the little bugger home where it belongs
    ok i prefere more the sensible colors if i'm allowed to say so
    snow white and graphite
    and in adition to that i had to have a emac too
    the powermac 5500/275 came only in the collection because its i think the only europe only mac and its a working tv too and its one out of the dark period of apple as its all black

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

My beige G3 is the desktop model. It was originally a special order 333MHz system since the desktop model only came up to 300MHz stock. I just overclocked it to 350 when I first got it. I don't really use it much anymore, but it still boots 10.2.8 every now and again.

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

btw i also got a Commodore SX64 and a commodore pet, both fully working
    always loved all in one designs with crt screens and still do simply cant help it , but i cant get myself used to these thin flat computers ..they look so fragile
    :)

10. tokyoracer thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard and seen them. They look quite good (if a little odd at first), my Performa 630 is compatible with a TV though that isn't black (apart from the remote).

Sounds great, that's my dream beige machine, don't think you could do any better then a G3 unless you get a G4 upgrade.

I'v never owned an SX64 though I picked up a C64C in a local car boot sale (swap meet). Very nice machine and alot of fun even today. :)

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Due to space limitations nearly all my old ones are gone. I used to watch TV on a 7600/Sonnet G3. At 640 by 480 with the software it was still a sharper picture than a standard set at the time.

12. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I always wanted an SX64 just to play with. I really loved the look and feel of them. My CMD system isn't at my house anymore, but my dad took it and set it up at his place. Got a couple 1571 drives, 3.5" floppy, a RAM-LINK, and other goodies for it.

13. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hello,
    welcome to the forums.
    I'm a little addicted to colecting as well.I usually use what I collect though.
    Let's see,what do I have,

PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz,5.5GB/1.5TB/10.5.8
    PowerMac G4 867Mhz,1GB/250GB/10.5.8
    PowerBook G4 Ti 1Ghz/1GB60GB/10.5.8
    PowerBook G4 Ti 1Ghz/512MB/60GB/10.5.8
    iBook Clamshell G3,466Mhz/576MB/60GB/10.4.11
    iBook Clamshell G3,466Mhz,320MB/40GB/10.3.9
    I have piles of parts for all of them too.

That' all I have at the moment.

14. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i did the same, as i run out of storage i brought loads of stuff to my parents and stored everything in my old room

the sx 64 i found at the army barracks in ramstein germany on the side of a bin in a box, took it home with me to keep it maybe for spares as i thought it maybe damaged , but what a surprise when i unpacked it at home it did not even have a single scratch and plugged it in and its working like it should even had pacman inside on 5¼" diskettes