New to Forum, New Mac Book Pro ordered!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phaeton Place, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Phaeton Place macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I've finally made the switch over to the Light aka Right side and have my new Mac Book Pro 17 on order from Amazon. Should be here before the New Year hopefully.

I also ordered a Crucial 256 SSD, Speck clear case and 16 Gb ram upgrade from Komputerbay. I've been pouring over the many posts on this forum and am trying to figure out what to do with the 750 gb 7200 rpm hard drive that comes with my MBP? I suppose my options are to put it in a docking station or enclosure and run it as an external drive or to go the optibay route and swap the DVD drive out for the HD. I don't use the optical drive much on my Toshiba Qosmio laptop and can't see anything changing with the MBP.

I do a lot of digital photography using Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom and am just getting into video editing. Really looking forward to seeing how my MBP will handle digital editing. Wondering if someone more knowledgable than I, and there are many of you.....:D, might be able to point me to a USB/FireWire HD enclosure if possible, just in case I decide to keep optical drive in place?

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep searching through the many threads.

Thank you.

Mark

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

wow you did at that to your MBP?? I'm running 4GB on my MBP that 2008 model. Adobe Suites CS4, Lightroom, Digital Performer, and a few other Apps. Add an external drive and it becomes even faster.

4. azure247 macrumors 6502

optical bay too important to get rid of
    I use it to burn edited movies to DVDs and pictures.