New To Forum, New To iMac, Some Questions/Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adamdt, Sep 23, 2011.

1. adamdt macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, new to the forums here, been reading them for sometime there is some great info and great informative posters, and now that i have some questions what better place to ask them :)

so after my pc laptop died for the 3rd time in 3 yrs i decided i wanted to go Mac. ive wanted an iMac for sometime but could never afford it but now i can so i decided to go for it.

i went ahead and did my research, figured out what i wanted and picked up a

27inch 3.4ghz i7, 1tb, 4gb, hd 6970m 2gb

my main uses for it are Photography/editing, movies,music and general use

so ive had it for about 4months now and ive enjoyed it but ive also run into some problems

1.my HD was one of the ones listed in the recall (haven't had it replaced yet)
    2.its slowed down quite a bit already since ive got it, webpages often pixelate in between loading
    3.sometimes web vids dont load or play quite choppy to go with the slowdown
    4. my wireless was disconnecting a fair amount esp after waking from sleep (since been using direct connection)
    5. (just started tonight) i put in a blank disc to burn a cd and its not recognizing it or coming up in the finder

could these all be related to the HD? or are there bigger problems at play? i really dont wanna take it in and find out its gonna be hundreds to fix considering what i paid for it lol if it is bigger issues do you think i would qualify for a system replacement?

any help is of course appreciated thx :)

2. 50548 Guest

1 - Well, you shouldn't take long before replacing your HD for free - just take it to the nearest Apple Store or AASP and have it done;

2 - Whatever your OS version is, you should try to apply all released updates - just go to System Preferences, Software Update and that's it;

3 - I have exactly the same system as yours and have none of these problems - you may also try to use a freeware like Onyx to clean up caches and erase redundant system files.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All Macs come with 1-year warranty. You can try apps like OnyX as suggested above, but if the issues are hardware related, then you can't fix it with software. I would take it to Apple, it won't cost anything.

4. adamdt thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm ok, so even if its say a graphics card problem or something like that the warranty should cover it?

yea ive read up on onyx, just downloaded it last night gonna give it a try see what happens. thanks :)

5. 50548 Guest

Yes; the GPU and everything else are covered by Apple's warranty (except for unauthorized custom hardware changes, of course).

6. adamdt thread starter macrumors newbie

thx, good to know... i haven't added anything extra to it. wanna add some ram but think i'll do that after i take it in for the HD replacement

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

8. radicalcentrist macrumors member

4 GB of RAM?

I might be missing something here, but your description appears to state that you only have 4GB of RAM running in your iMac. You certainly could upgrade that (pretty cheaply now....I just upped my early 2010 iMac to 16GB for about $100). There was a SERIOUS difference when I upgraded, and primarily all I do is keep open multiple Safari windows, 100-200 page-long Pages docs and huge PDF files.

9. adamdt thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know what would?

----------

yes 4gb, i planned to upgrade it after i bought it since the price to do it through apple is well..nuts lol i have looked around but haven't found anything that cheap yet.. Canada doesn't have a ton of options and ordering from the US the shipping just kills any deal u might get lol

----------

one more issue i noticed today was when plugging my headphones into the jack the comp almost freezes up for a few secs.. deff lags ive heard of that before as a kernel panic? if i remember correctly.. or im way off, anyone know what it does that?