Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I got a HomePod mini and I will eventually get more for HomeKit such as plugs, cameras, and others. I have XFINITY security and they do monitoring, is there anything that can replace this?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Lots, just look for HomeKit cameras. Although I’m sure Xfinity will be better.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
so I would probably have to keep Comcast/Xfinity for monitoring?
I’m saying Xfinity will probably be a better monitoring system. But you can always get HomeKit cameras if you want better integration for a full home experience (lights,switch’s,HomePod etc) my HomeKit cameras aren’t that good as what I had before but wanted the full HomeKit integration. So if you want to save money then switch it up, if you don’t care about losing out on some posible features of Xfinity.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I’m saying Xfinity will probably be a better monitoring system. But you can always get HomeKit cameras if you want better integration for a full home experience (lights,switch’s,HomePod etc) my HomeKit cameras aren’t that good as what I had before but wanted the full HomeKit integration. So if you want to save money then switch it up, if you don’t care about losing out on some posible features of Xfinity.
Thanks! I might keep Comcast for monitoring and use HomeKit for everything else.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You will lost out on creating automations based on motion from HomeKit cameras. For example, front yard camera senses motion at 3 am, turn on porch lights (and HomeKit enabled sprinkler if you want to get those pesky animals off your lawn lol). Another cool feature of HomeKit cameras is that when you stream a camera from HomeKit, you get a button right there on the screen that will allow you to turn on lights, lock a door, deactivate the alarm, etc. within that cameras assigned room without having to leave the stream. Very handy if you get a motion alert in the middle of the night in a room that’s dark and shouldn’t have any motion in it at that time.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Also, checkout the Honeywell Lyric at AlarmGrid.com. Last I remember, it’s a HomeKit compatible system with LTE and monitoring. That was a couple years ago so may have changed since then. There are also options like Abode and Aqara for self monitoring within HomeKit.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Around
You will lost out on creating automations based on motion from HomeKit cameras. For example, front yard camera senses motion at 3 am, turn on porch lights (and HomeKit enabled sprinkler if you want to get those pesky animals off your lawn lol). Another cool feature of HomeKit cameras is that when you stream a camera from HomeKit, you get a button right there on the screen that will allow you to turn on lights, lock a door, deactivate the alarm, etc. within that cameras assigned room without having to leave the stream. Very handy if you get a motion alert in the middle of the night in a room that’s dark and shouldn’t have any motion in it at that time.

Also, checkout the Honeywell Lyric at AlarmGrid.com. Last I remember, it’s a HomeKit compatible system with LTE and monitoring. That was a couple years ago so may have changed since then. There are also options like Abode and Aqara for self monitoring within HomeKit.
Thanks for this info!

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.