New to iCloud. Help with email pls

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Racineur, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Hello, I never used iCloud before but I will soon own an iPad Air 2 and I would like to understand a bit before the iPad is shipped. I opened a session on my iMac/27/2013/Yosemite and I get it up to the email thing. I am asked to create an iCloud email address. Ok but at each attempt, the address is taken. What's the use of an iCloud email address? I truly don't get it since I log to iCloud with my Apple ID. Is this an address like Gmail? If I can create an iCloud address, will it replace my Apple ID. All else seems OK: Photos, iCloud drive, Contacts, Pages, Keynote, Calendar. But Mail remains a mystery. Can someone help me please. I wish to sync contacts, mails, notes, reminders, calendar events between Imac and iPad. As for the phone, still is an old Android. We'll see later for an iPhone I guess. Thanks a lot.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

you can make a __________@icloud.com - I don't know if most people use them. I have never used it. I just use my existing email accounts. I have email turned off for iCloud.