New to iMac, Airport Time Capsule questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sppunk, Nov 12, 2013.

1. sppunk macrumors member

Just pulled the trigger on a 27" 512gb iMac ... will soon buy Crucial RAM to bump it to 2032gb. Happy day!

I was looking at Airport Time Capsule and am quite confused. I know it has a built-in hdd and is a router. My questions are:

1) can I stream music from it to my iPhone/iPad without using the internet data? My in-home internet isn't blazing and I fear wifi backups would take forever.

2) If I plug it into my iMac (which will be in another room than the modem and router) can I just bridge it and have it backup much faster yet still share files?

If it can't stream I honestly see no reason to buy one as I can get a 2tb USB 3 drive cheaper ...

I was going to search for the answers but, well, damn hackers. :)

2. Bear, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Bear macrumors G3

A Time Capsule can't stream music to iOS devices. You can use Home Sharing to share music from your Mac to your iPhone/iPad.

If you don't need a WiFi base/router, you might as well get a USB 3 drive and plug it directly in to your iMac.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In order to stream music you will also need an AppleTV (buy it refurbished for $75.00) or you can get an Airport Express which will allow you to stream music. Of the two the AppleTV would be better because then you can also have video (TV shows, movies, photos) on your TV in addition to the music.

4. Bear macrumors G3

That actually doesn't answer the question and own't work for what was asked, he wanted the music streamed to his iOS devices, not to a stereo or tv.

5. sppunk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to you both. I really just want to stream if possible to iOS devices, otherwise Sonos will work better for my needs.

Your answers show me I can save money and skip Time Capsule completely. Thanks much!