New to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmama87, Sep 26, 2013.

1. macmama87 macrumors newbie

So we just received our brand new first 27 iMac.:D

NVIDIAGeForceGTX775M 2GB GDDR5

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rp

We have iPhones and iPads but other than that have been strictly PC users. Any advise on how to make the transition easier, any recommended apps are highly appreciated. So far I am just in awe at the beauty of this machine. I have been playing around for a bit and am having fun figuring things out as I go. But it obviously still feels very foreign.

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

First things first - congratulations! If you're like me, once you're in, you're forever Mac!

To make the transition smoother? Some of that will depend on what you want to do mostly. I definitely recommend the iWork suite -- Pages, Numbers, Keynote, as those will replace your Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Other than that, I can't of much right off the bat.

Well, it's a bit trivial, but also get TheUnarchiver from the Mac Appstore. It will help tremendously with any .rar or .7zip files. It's a real lifesaver!

I would also recommend watching all of these: https://www.apple.com/findouthow/
    They will really help!

And last thing, and it's covered in those videos, get an external hard drive for backups. OS X handles backups flawlessly, there's no reason not to use it!

Congratulations again! This Mac will last you a very very long time, I hope it serves you well!

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

2nd the recommendation of an external HD - backups are amazingly easy with OS X.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The best thing to do is to educate yourselves, Apple makes this very easy with their Find out How video series. You can access them at:

https://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

It covers all the basics and will help you get up-to-speed extremely quickly.

5. macmama87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank you for the recommendations and tutorial links. I have to admit I am really loving this so far. We did also get an Airport Time Capsule together with this new iMac, so I think we will be okay for back-ups.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept