New to Intel Macs: Installing Leopard To Get Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sawtooth811, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Hi, I'm finally moving up to Intel Macs. :rolleyes:

Since my MacBook isn't working at the moment, is it possible to install Leopard through an iBook G4 on an external SATA drive, and place that drive into the MB? Or do I have to install it on another intel Mac? :confused:

2. phormality macrumors newbie

What about your MacBook isn’t working that you can’t install OS X directly on it?

It is generally a bad idea to install an OS on different hardware then what you plan to use it on, especially when you are talking a PPC vs Intel processor. It should be OK if you have identical hardware, but I’d just install it straight to the drive inside of the MacBook. If the hard drive is bad, put a new hard drive in and install from the DVD onto the new drive. If the DVD drive is bad there are ways to prepare OS X to install from an external hard drive

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You would need another Intel machine, the drivers and system files would be different for the PPC machine.

I remember reading otherwise, but I think that just ended up being that Leopard was installable on either machine, and not necessarily that one install was bootable on two separate ones.