new to iOS Development.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Tander, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hi all,

So I want to start developing applications for the iOS platform. :cool:

I have basic understand of how programming works and I have looked at a very basic example of a hello world application in Xcode. I do understand Objective-C a little and could make out what was going on.

I have registered a free developer account with Apple as well. So, what I would like to know is:

1. Where is the best place to start learning Xcode and iOS programming?
    2. With the free Dev account - can I debug apps and put them on my iDevices to test?
    3. What else should I know before jumping into this?

Appreciate the help guys.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Take a look at the stickies on the top of the forum.

If you're in it to make money, success does not come easily... especially starting from square one as you seem to be.

3. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tander

Thanks I will look into the stickies.

Well - making money is never easy, I get that. But part of me enjoys programming too. Here in SA, companies are looking for developers and are paying well for them - even a junior dev will get more than what I earn now.

What I want to do, is start learning and maybe in a year or two - be ready to go into a job which will pay nicely for a junior dev.

But like I said, the other part of me, actually enjoys programming. I love Apple devices - so I want to make applications for them, too! :cool:

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There is no one best place. This all depends on your learning style. Some prefer books, some videos, some instructor-lead classes, etc.

You can debug apps in the Simulator but when it comes to putting them on your device, you'll need a paid account.

Take the time to learn the fundamentals. This foundation will serve you well.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We make all our new employees go thru the Stanford podcasts and do the exercises. It brings them up to speed very quickly.

6. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tander

Thanks to both of you I really appreciate it.

At the moment, I am building my first app - the Hello world app.

All gone well - just can't get the keyboard to dismiss after hitting the done button. But, will work it out. :cool: