Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Hi all,

Not sure if this falls under an iOS question or an iPhone 14 Pro question so I will start here.

I have had a cell phone since 1995 and I have used an Android smart phone since the beginning. I wanted something different and my friend who has also been on Android since the beginning switched to an iPhone 14 Pro Max and after 4 months he still absolutely loves it and said he will never go back. Based on that I bought an iPhone 14 Pro, just got it Friday and set it up Saturday. Very nice phone and I am very, very happy with it. Great piece of tech!

Just a few minor things I cannot figure out.

1. If I want to change the grid size so that I can have 5 icons across instead of 4 how can I do that?
2. I would also like 5 icons across the very bottom. How can I do that?
3. I would like my weather widget to be single row instead of double. It takes up too much space. How can I change that widget or any widget to single row?

That's about it. Just need to solve those issues and I will be a happy camper. I love everything else so far. I just need to adjust those sizes. Way too much wasted space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Hi. All three... you can't without jailbreaking.
Ok, well that's sad, but not a deal breaker. lol Definitely not worth jailbreaking. I will get used to it.

I never customized Android that much, but I did love the ability to change grid sizes to utilize the screen space to best suit my needs.

Hopefully Apple will allow this in the future.

I really do love this phone though. I will probably never go back to Android.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
I came from a life of Android to the 14PM. Takes some getting used to but I love it now. In terms of optimisation Apple are so far ahead, the battery life in phenomenal

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I came from a life of Android to the 14PM. Takes some getting used to but I love it now. In terms of optimisation Apple are so far ahead, the battery life in phenomenal
Ya, I’m definitely loving this phone for sure!!

Reactions: turbochgd

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Ya, I’m definitely loving this phone for sure!!

I also came from nothing but Android a little over a year ago. I have come full circle and now am totally into the Apple culture. The iPhone is not as customizable as Android but with the latest iOS updates has been increasing more so.

One of the things I missed from Android was the ability to move files between phone and computer, etc, so easily. The iPhone using iTunes can be confusing and rigid. But I found a program called iAmazing which made things a LOT easier and much simpler for me. Check it out and good luck with your new phone!

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I also came from nothing but Android a little over a year ago. I have come full circle and now am totally into the Apple culture. The iPhone is not as customizable as Android but with the latest iOS updates has been increasing more so.

One of the things I missed from Android was the ability to move files between phone and computer, etc, so easily. The iPhone using iTunes can be confusing and rigid. But I found a program called iAmazing which made things a LOT easier and much simpler for me. Check it out and good luck with your new phone!
Thanks, I will check that out.

I was one of those people who got a new phone every year because I loved the new tech. I have had a smart phone since they first came out. I have also been in IT my entire 30 year career.

My last phone, a Galaxy Note 9, I preordered the beginning of August 2018. It was the last “exciting” phone I bought. There was just nothing exciting anymore. It could still do everything I needed after 4.5 years. No new, exciting tech……..I needed something different and as I said my friend switched and absolutely loves his 14 Pro Max. I decided I would try Apple and iOS.

I love this 14 Pro more and more. Fast, smooth, fluid, perfect size for me. It’s hard to explain, but it just works so well. Glad I switched and it looks like Apple is slowly allowing some more customization so that is cool also. I love this phone!!!

And if anyone made it this far in my ramblings, what is the screen called that you pull down from the upper right and it gives you shortcuts that you can add to? There is still stuff I’m discovering and it’s really cool!

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Thanks, I will check that out.

I was one of those people who got a new phone every year because I loved the new tech. I have had a smart phone since they first came out. I have also been in IT my entire 30 year career.

My last phone, a Galaxy Note 9, I preordered the beginning of August 2018. It was the last “exciting” phone I bought. There was just nothing exciting anymore. It could still do everything I needed after 4.5 years. No new, exciting tech……..I needed something different and as I said my friend switched and absolutely loves his 14 Pro Max. I decided I would try Apple and iOS.

I love this 14 Pro more and more. Fast, smooth, fluid, perfect size for me. It’s hard to explain, but it just works so well. Glad I switched and it looks like Apple is slowly allowing some more customization so that is cool also. I love this phone!!!

And if anyone made it this far in my ramblings, what is the screen called that you pull down from the upper right and it gives you shortcuts that you can add to? There is still stuff I’m discovering and it’s really cool!

So glad you love it! I’ve had my 14 Pro Max since September and absolutely love it.

The screen you’re pulling down is called the Control Center. Very useful. There’s plenty of cool things that you can see on YouTube. Best of luck with your new phone!

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
So glad you love it! I’ve had my 14 Pro Max since September and absolutely love it.

The screen you’re pulling down is called the Control Center. Very useful. There’s plenty of cool things that you can see on YouTube. Best of luck with your new phone!
Control Center. Thank you!

I will check out some YT videos also. I’m sure there are tons of tricks and tips videos.

Reactions: turbochgd

Yuvix

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
India
Even, I came from android and 14 PM is my first iPhone ever and I came from Samsung S21 plus. What I love so far switching from my Samsung is battery life and fluidity.

What I dont like at all is the camera system to snap photos (for videos iPhone is king), s21 is far better. And all the customisation you mentioned that is also there but you can live with it but what you cant live with is how on earth iPhones cant store more than 100 call logs and that to be it consist of all the call you have done through network, wifi, FaceTime, Teams or any other software. Its a shame actually.

For customising the icons placement you can use an app “MD Blank”, it is just a workaround and it places transparent widget.

Reactions: Shouldibuy

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Can someone elaborate on the camera and what Yuvix is talking about? I took pics with my Note 9 and I take pics with my 14 Pro and they both take great pics. What exactly is the complaint with the photo taking?

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Can someone elaborate on the camera and what Yuvix is talking about? I took pics with my Note 9 and I take pics with my 14 Pro and they both take great pics. What exactly is the complaint with the photo taking?
Yes, I too, am curious. The iPhone 14 PM camera is pretty straight forward.

Reactions: VRDaddy1

Yuvix

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
India
iPhones camera is good but often I see it adds too much sharpening or make hdr effect to a level where it doesnt look natural.

And in night mode it takes washed out pics for human subjects….

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
iPhones camera is good but often I see it adds too much sharpening or make hdr effect to a level where it doesnt look natural.

And in night mode it takes washed out pics for human subjects….
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I don't look at pics at that level so I would never notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.