New to iOS programming - which Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Riley2802, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Riley2802 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Looking for some advice, For someone new to Xcode/iOS game development can you recommend which Mac would be best?

I originally planned to go for the iMac 5k but having done some research I'm not sure if this would be the best choice for a beginner?

I don't mind paying for the right machine but at the same time would prefer not to overspend on something I don't need.

Pre retina iMac with upgraded ram/ssd

Rmbp 13 upgraded ram and ssd (potential second Thunderbolt Display)

5k iMac -

Any advice welcome, thanks

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I consider screen real estate more important than anything else for programming. If you have a suitable display already the. A Mac Mini would work well. If you need portability the rMBP coupled with a good display is the only option.

I won't have a machine without a SSD anymore.

3. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

buy the 2012 mini i7, upgrade the ram and a nice ssd
    you will have the horsepower you need
    and hook up a huge screen (I have the dell u2713h and it still can feel small with xCode)

4. isomorphic macrumors regular

I would add to this, if you feel the need for another monitor, don't buy the current Apple Thunderbolt display. When it came out it was a great deal; now it is a waste of money.

For less than $600 you can pick up a decent 28" TN UHD/4K display. It won't be IPS--so the colors and viewing angle will be poor--but for a bunch of text editing windows it will be fantastic.

Also for less than $600 you can buy a 30" 2560x1600 IPS display; for $100 or so more you can get even better quality.

I and others were expecting Apple to update their Thunderbolt display during the last Mac refresh. Instead Apple gave us the 5K iMac. Great, but if you have existing kit, not helpful. $999 for 2560x1440 is unreasonable.

If Apple had released a 4K Thunderbolt display I would have immediately bought two. :(

----------

PS, I agree with others--don't buy current Mac Mini unless you buy low end to save money. The top-end Mac Mini is not a good deal compared to the L2012 quad-core models.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You don't need it

You really don't need the 5K iMac, however as all macs run the same software so the fact that you're a beginner makes no difference.

Your stated workload could be on any of their current computers so really it is just down to your preference between portability and desktops and how much you want to spend... Although personally I would go retina all the way after having my 13 inch retina rMBP nearly a year I do struggle with other monitors...

6. Riley2802 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your help

i think i will go for the 13inch rmbp with upgraded ram and hard drive with an external monitor at home.

i have a dual screen setup in my day job and it works well for me

now to find a decent monitor in the uk, 4k thunderbolt would have been nice.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

no 60Hz 4K support

The 13 inch will only run a 4k monitor at 30 Hz the 15 inch is needed for 60Hz support.