New to Ipad, a few questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rasan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Rasan macrumors member

Hey!

Yesterday i picked up a 3 month old Ipad 2 with lots of accessories for 420 €. Its the 16 gb version and its on ios5.

First of, i am aware that i should have done more research before i bought it.

The reasons why i wanted an ipad are: Watching livestreams (starcraft II) and movies in bed and when traveling, playing games, and other stuff like reading, surfing and emails.

My 2 problems are:

Most starcraft streams are flash. I knew that before i bought the ipad, but i read that browsers like puffin were able to show flash videos. I bought puffin but videos are lagging really bad, almost unwatchable. I can watch some of the streams as some streamers have their own apps, which work great, but not all of them.

I saw videos of ipads and ipad 2s running n64, psx and snes emulators. That was one of the aspects why i wanted an ipad two. I do own all these consoles and it would have been great to play when traveling. I wouldnt have minded jailbreaking the device, but (again, should have researched in advance) there is no ios5 jailbreak for the ipad 2 yet. I know there are good games i can buy on the appstore, but i really want to play my classics.

My questions:

Have you got any advice for the flash problem? Has someone experience with skyfire and livestreams (i would try, but if it doesnt work i wasted 8€).

Any suggestions for the jailbreaking problem? I havent found any emulators for the consoles on the appstore, i guess because of legal issues. Is there a way to go back to ios 4.3 and then jailbreak, or does someone know when there will be an ios 5 jailbreak?

I know, maybe i would have been better off with a galaxytab or some other android tablet but i'd rather have the ipad if possible. I already have an imac and a macbook air, and i prefer ios to andriod. Also i want to aviod selling the ipad again and buying another tablet if possible.

Thats about it, thank you for any suggestions.

2. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

Flash and Apple dont mix.

If you jailbreak your Ipad and its still under warranty, you just voided your warranty.

Theres A LOT you can do on a Ipad, search under jailbreaking tips etc for more advice.

3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

First statement about Flash is correct.

The jailbreak statement is false. Restore to factory defaults before you return for warranty work.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Don't use Skyfire. That is a waste of money. The best Flash browser out right now for the iPad is Photon, found at the Apple store. However, even that may not fit the bill for you needs.

5. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Do you think i would be better off with a galaxy tab after all? I mean, i enjoy having the 'apple only' system, but if a galaxy tab can do what i need better than the ipad, i might consider selling the ipad again. I really like the device, but if i cant play emulator games at all it would be a pity.

6. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I've picked up Transformer Prime to replace my iPad 2. I am keeping both, since one app that I need is not available for Android. Flash works great and so do emulators. You can even pair a PS3 controller to it and play whatever emulators you want.

I do believe that you won't get any emulators from App Store. I think there's MAME or Commodore emulator there, but that's where choices end. And you cannot jailbreak (yet).

For Flash, I think you can be ok with an app like Splashtop, or even new, free Logmein Ignition. They are remote access programs. You can remote into your PC/Mac, and watch it that way.

7. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I use Splashtop on occasion to watch Hulu videos on my iPad 1. While the stream is surprisingly decent, it has crashed more than a fair share of times. I'm running an old 2008 iMac, so maybe if you have a more powerful computer (and/or iPad 2) it will run better, but just wanted to throw my experience out there for the OP or anyone wondering about the performance on older hardware.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Transformer Prime would be a better fit for your needs over the Galaxy Tab, imo. Access to a real keyboard and ps3 controller use sounds like what you are looking for. Not to mention, the extra battery life with the keyboard dock on the Prime. If I was to buy a non-iPad, right now there is nothing better out than the Transformer Prime.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yep, Photon is great. It'll do anything Flash related.

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Keep an eye on the "iPad hacks" forum here - a jailbreak for iPad 2s running 5.0.1 is expected in the next week or so. No guarantees, but we've all got our fingers crossed. Just do NOT update to 5.0.2 or 5.1 is Apple releases one of those first.