Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
So I just go my iPad and I want to load movies and music.
I'm sure music is simple at syncing with my iMac and iTunes.
Is that pretty spot on?

But how would I go about and load movies let's say for a plane ride?

I ask because a few a weeks, a passenger in front of me on a flight home was watching some
movies on his iPad. Must have had at least 10 movies from the movie covers I saw.

What I'm not sure was if he had the movies loaded onto his iPad or if he connected somehow to his home PC... Before he started his movie, I saw on his iPhone and I'm not sure if was syncing his iPad up with something to watch the movies or just messing with his iPad in general.

Do I have to rip the movies to my iMac and then from there transfer to my iPad using... ??

Or can I rip the movies to my iMac then somehow connect to my iMac from where ever I am?

I'm confused.

Thanks all

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Use Handbrake to encode your movies and load them in iTunes
Then sync with your iPad

You can use Handbrake directly if you have VLC loaded
Or you can rip with RipIt or Mac DVDRipper Pro and then use Handbrake to encode

Use the Handbrake presets and just put them in iTunes when you are done

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
There are apps like Zumocast and AirVideo that lets you stream movies from your home computer to your iPad. But your iPad needs a wifi or 3G internet connection to get them. Not sure how well that works on a plane -- I hear some Airlines are starting to offer in-flight wifi, so if you are on one of those planes, it'll probably work. But in order to ensure that you have something to watch, it's best to have some movies copied to your iPad, so you can watch even if you don't have an internet connection, or the connection speed is too slow for movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.