New to iPad - initial setup required software update now stuck

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xxchrom, Dec 27, 2011.

1. xxchrom macrumors newbie

I received my first iPad for Christmas. It was purchased at Target. Yesterday evening, I went to set it up for the first time and update with my last iPhone 4s backup (done that morning). iTunes indicated that the software on the new iPad was older so I would need to set it up as a new iPad first, then update software. I began the process at 8pm. It's now 12+ hours later and the bar on the iPad is at about 75%. iTunes appears to still be churning away and reads "restoring iPad firmware". I am not sure if it is stuck and I should disconnect (horrors?) or just let it continue. Very nervous.

I've searched around on the older posts but am still unsure and need advice. This iPad is new but the first part of the process did appear to be moving over my music from iTunes. That's only about 3 GB. The nearest Apple Store is two hours away. I'd really appreciate any input you have on next steps. Thanks so much!
    -Diana

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Give it more time if it's at 75% and watch to see if it increases from 75%.

You didn't mention how many Gb you had on your phone.

3. xxchrom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I ended up calling Apple Support who told me to go ahead and disconnect the iPad from the laptop. The error message indicated that the update had gotten hung up somewhere, so the advisor talked me through the restore, update and sync and set up, and now I seem to up and running just fine. I only had about 4 GB of data on my phone, so no idea what caused it to stall overnight. Really appreciate your fast response!:)

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Delighted to hear your issue was resolved. Apple has great customer support. I bought my iPad the first week they went on sale and have loved it ever since. I use it 99% of the time and my poor MacBook sit idle on my desk. I apologize that I missed the fact that you had gotten an error message.