New to iPad...Looking for the Best Keyboard Recommendation...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JoelBC, Jun 23, 2012.

1. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Apologies to the extent that this has been asked elsewhere...

I am new to the iPad world having just purchased my first iPad...

I am looking for the best recommendation regarding a keyboard as I believe that there are times when a keyboard would be very useful...is this in fact the correct, why or why not?

In the event that a keyboard is a good idea and to the extent that it matters I currently have a Zagg shield on both sides of my iPad and an Apple Smart Case noting that I am open to changing cases/covers....

Though I have done some reading, I do not know which option is the best route to go....is it:

1. Apple wireless keyboard..and, by the way, does the Origami case also have room for the iPad or does this a "two case solution"... http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC184LL/B?fnode=MTc0MjU4OTY

2. Belkin YourType Folio... http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=603126

3. Clam case... http://clamcase.com/ipad-3-keyboard-case-black.html

4. Logitech solar keyboard folio... http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/ipad/solar-keyboard-folio

5. Zagg case... http://www.zagg.com/ipad/ipad-3-accessories.php

6. Others....

With much thanks,

Joel

2. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

i had the Belkin one and returned it. The keyboard is alright, but I didn't care too much for the folio itself. Many members here seem to like the Logitech ultrathin and the solar folio.. I tried the ultrathin.. its quite nice.

But if you wanted a full size keyboard, the Apple BT keyboard or the Logitech Solar Keyboard is the way to go and I'm leaning more towards the solar keyboard simply because you don't need to keep buying batteries.

3. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the response and look forward to the input of others...again, much thanks..

Joel

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

The solar powered Logitech keyboards look really cool. :cool:

5. mtj0742 macrumors newbie

I have tried several of the options, the best I have found is the apple keyboard with origami case. Best keyboard, Origama protects it and lets you prop the iPad up for use with it. Only downside is if you don't have a flat surface to set it on. But, I like that you can take it with you or leave it behind, depending on your use at the moment.

6. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the response but what is it like to work with...

Appreciate the response...two follow ups:

1. Does / will the iPad fit in the Origami case or do I need a separate case / protector for the iPad; and

2. Why do you find the Apple keyboard to be the best solution.

Thanks,

Joel

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't own one but they do look cool plus they have 3 flavors of their solar keyboards. One of those keyboards has a 2 year battery life and morphs into a smart folio case. :eek:

Download the Foxnews iPad app and they have a tech video clip from a Logitech rep from a recent electronics conference.

8. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am sold on the Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio subject after doing more investigation subject to two things:

1. Does / will the keyboard scratch the surface or is there sufficient protection (i.e. rubber) / space so no damage is done.

2. How difficult is it to remove the iPad from the device as I can envision times when I would not need the keyboard.

Too bad that they did not make the keyboard removable.

Joel

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple BT + origami does have the best pure typing experience, IMHO, but it is a two case solution. I prefer the compromises of the Logitech ultrathin and have had it for a couple of months now.

1. No damage at all to the iPad....nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

2. Extremely easy to remove it from the iPad...I wish the magnet hinge was a bit stronger on it, truth be told.

10. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed in that I a too am looking for a one case solution...I have one follow up for you:

1. I have a Zagg InvisibleShield on both the front and back of my iPad for added protection...will this cause a fit problem or should it still fit.

Thanks so much,

Joel

11. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am down to two possibilities...the Zaggfolio and the Logitech Solar Folio...

I have two questions that I hope that users of each can respond to:

1. Does the case allow me to fold "backwards" (even though the keyboard will be on the outside) so that I can use the iPad to watch movies while on a stationary bike at the gym?

2. Will having an invisible shield on both the font and back of my iPad create a fit problem.

Thanks so much...

Joel

12. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

For those interested...I went to see the Zaggfolio and it did nothing for me, not particularly nice, perhaps I am too picky...

I really need / want a case that can 'fold back" when I am at the gym, etc. which, to the best of my knowledge, none of the case with integrated keyboards can do. (or, at least none that I have seen)...I then went to the Apple store and bought the wireless keyboard with an incase oprigami sleeve...will use the Apple SmartCase for my iPad and the Apple keyboard for typing...

Will let you know how it goes but I do believe this to be the best solutions for those who do not always need/want a keyboard...I hope that I am correct on this...

Joel

13. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Apple keyboard all the way! Feels great to type on, is full size, and is the same keyboard you are used to on the Mac!

14. jimenez1410 macrumors newbie

i just got the Logitech K760 at a steal price from Best Buy. I love it!

15. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

how much? is it on sale? maybe i'll stop by before it closes.

16. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would agree except that i do not have a Mac so this will be my first experience with an Apple keyboard...I hope that it works out...

Joel

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Hard to beat the apple keyboard for feel and construction. The only annoyance I had was the on-off switch, which is too easy to activate. I found a rubber tip, (like for a small round chair leg) and notched it to fit over the on/off switch.

18. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Important to note that this refers to the Ultrathin keyboard that attaches like a Smart Cover and not the Solar Folio the original question was about.

BTW, another vote for the Ultrathin here. I just swap my Smart Cover out for it whenever I think I might want to type. I'd be happy to use it full time if I typed all the time.

19. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agree that the Ultrathin is an interesting solution but wanted something that offers more scratch protection and, yes, I do know that one could put a skin on the back...

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I just picked up the Logitech Ultra Thin keyboard/cover and love it. Not as much of a protective cover of course, but it's a perfect match for my iPad 3 and the keyboard and holder is awesome. I can easily sit it on my lap while on the couch and type away.

21. New2MacOS macrumors member

I offer another vote for the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard. I have InvisibleShield on the front and back of the iPad3 and iCarbons to protect against scratches to the keyboard.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

A little late to the conversation, but I have owned a zaggfolio for a little over a month and here are my observations. I find there is no easy answer because each products brings with it its own strengths and problems.

Zaggfolio
    Pros: Turns your ipad into a neat little laptop. Great for hammering out long posts, and easy to keep when you want to pack up and go. Simply turn the screen down, pick it up and walk away.

Cons: Turns your ipad into a neat little laptop. Have you tried removing your ipad from the zaggfolio while maintaining your balance in a crowded train? On certain days, I have to think long and hard about whether I require the ipad's form factor more or a laptop more, then choose between the zaggfolio or my viva folio case, because it is cumbersome to lug both around and switch between the two.

Conclusion: I find this the least versatile, unless you really type a lot, and appreciate a laptop setup and are too poor to afford one because you have already bought an ipad (like me :p).

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
    Pros: I find it offers the best typing experience. Also, because it is a 2-piece setup, it is very convenient for when you want to just whip out your ipad for casual usage, leaving the keyboard in your bag.

Cons: I find it is troublesome when you want to pack up, because you would then be walking around with 2 separate pieces of equipment. It also takes up a fair bit of space.

Conclusion: I think you should invest in an ipad casing, plus bluetooth keyboard and origami workstation. In the gym, you can just take out the ipad and stand it on the treadmill. When you want to type on a table, set up your keyboard.

Ultrathin keyboard cover
    Pros: Personally, if I had known they were releasing it, I may have gone for it over the zaggfolio. It adds as a dock, so I can just prop it up when I need to put it down, and pick it up to use when the need arises.

Cons: Little protection, and like the zaggfolio, if you want just the ipad out of your bag, you need to spend some effort detaching the cover.

Conclusion: Go for it only if you value portability over everything else.

Hope this helped in its own little way. :)

23. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly my thinking and exactly why I did what I did...

Appreciate your feedback...

Joel

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

After trying literally all of the latest & "best" keyboards for my iPad 3, my favorite is the 11" MBA.

Yes, I know...

And I am being serious.

I've given the keyboards to family members & now use my iPad by itself as a recreational web surfing device.

For everything else, I'm too spoiled by the stellar keyboards Apple equips their laptops with. Therefore I'd much rather use my 11" MBA, or my 13" MBA, or my.... well you get the picture.

That's my take on it :)

25. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

that's what I wonder too.. if I ever bought an MBA or an ultrabook, would it make the ipad keyboard combo obsolete for my own personal use