New to iPhone (4), using Gmail through Safari

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtibbie, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Go ahead and pile on if needed - I'm a *complete* iPhone newbie setting up my wife's iPhone 4. She uses gmail and on our computer (Macbook) we both just use gmail's webmail through Safari or Firefox. I'm thinking of having her access gmail the same way on the iPhone rather than use that mail app and use up storage on the phone and potentially have the phone accessing the network outside of our house when not wanted.

Couple questions:
    • First, is this how *anybody* accesses gmail (through Safari on iPhone) or is that pretty much the suckiest way to do it? I tried the interface and I think it's pretty cool actually!
    • Second, does anyone know if this mobile version of gmail through Safari respects the "ALWAYS use SSL" option she has set on her account that keep her in SSL mode *always* and not just for sign-in?

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I much prefer to view all my e-mail in the mail app. Especially now with the unified inbox.

3. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

First off, emails themselves use criminally small amounts of storage and data. If storage is a concern, don't worry, since the phone only keeps a limited amount of emails on the phone unless you change the settings to archive everything. I think that using the app is the best thing to do, since its just one click away, and using push you always know when you get an email. Having to use the web interface kind of defeats the whole purpose of a mobile device for email, since you have to stop and check to see if you have any email instead of just glancing at the icon and knowing.

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, I'm assuming she has a 16gb iPhone.

If so, mail stored on the device will use AT MOST 200mb. That's barely 1/80th of the storage available on your phone.

I would set her up with google sync so she can get PUSH email. Look into it.

5. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Right - but doesn't having PUSH email mean that when she's driving around doing stuff outside the house (outside range of our wifi), her phone might be doing all kinds of unexpected network pulls for email? She's signed up for the cheapest (250meg) plan, which is what made getting the phone affordable. She wants it to access the network only *if* she happens to pull up Safari to check gmail while she's out and not near public wifi.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you can go over 5MB just from the phone checking email, I'd be surprised. If she is then tempted to open the email with a picture, she may.

Also, you can set push to off, and fetch to off. That way it only checks when she opens the mail app

7. androiphone macrumors 65816

I also like the gmail web interface and if you are concerned about data usage then I would just use that as it cannot use any data inadvertently, it also has more functionality over the mail app (like stars and lables)

you can even add a homescreen shortcut for even easier access, as for the HTTPS question I think it does but to make sure just scroll to the top and see if it has https in the address bar.

vid about gmail mobile