New to iPhone Jailbreak! HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ckygetz, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ckygetz macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an used iPhone 3gs from craigslist. It is Jailbroken to 3.1.3 with spirit I believe. (Update: I do not know what was used to jailbreak it). It says on the Cydia main page that "This device ahs SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1"

So, do I need to back up the SHSH files on my Mac? If so, how do I do it? There are guides to do it BEFORE iPhone is Jailbroken, but I haven't been able to find any for iPhones AFTER they are Jailbroken.

Also, there is a hardware problem with my iPhone and I still have warranty left. Can I restore it and take it back? Do I restore it the same way in this guide:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603129

Update: Also, have you guys heard of jailbreakme? Would I need to worry about backing up my SHSh for that as well? Also, from the given information, can I safely infer my iPhone 3gs has the newer bootrom?

Update: How do I figure out if spirit was used to jailbreak my phone.
    Thanks!

PS: I think I have a newer bootrom, since it's jailbroken via Spirit. Also, if Apple replaces my iPhone, it might come with iOS 4. Would I be able to downgrade to 3.1.2 and spirit my way back to a Jailbreak?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It sounds like the previous owner backed up the blobs in cydia.

If you get a replacement with 4.0 u can't go back to 3.X.X to jailbrake. U would need to wait for some JB tools.

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It means your SHSH blobs are being stored on Cydia's server, there's not really a need for you to have a copy yourself. Yep you can remove all traces of the jailbreak by doing a restore. If you take it to Apple though, and it is indeed a hardware problem, then your replacement will almost definately come with 4.0. And since it would be a different phone, you would not have SHSHs on file for it and hence you can't downgrade. You would have to wait for the new jailbreak

4. ckygetz thread starter macrumors newbie

So, tell me if I'm incorrect. This is my understanding of SHSH:
    Each firmware has a SHSH file. If the device is missing the SHSH file for a particular firmware, there is no way to downgrade to that firmware. ie from 4.0->3.1.2 using the alt/opt+click on restore.

Next question is that since my SHSH files are being stored in Cydia's server, if I decide to restore to original 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 (I'm not sure what firmware my iPhone had before it was jailbroken) and then jailbreak it back, would I have to back up my SHSH files myself?

5. andy071202 macrumors member

if that device has not got the FW shsh blob on file then it cant be downgraded untill u back it up to the cydia server
    hence y cydia tells u at the moment u have several shsh on file(this has been done previously)
    the files are already saved for that iphones device id to cydia server

IN FUTURE WHEN U UPGRADE AND THE PHONE CAN BE JAILBROKEN THEN BACK YOUR SHSH ON TO CYDIA SERVER AS SOON AS YOU JAILBREAK this will save you alot of hassle
    if you dont know how to back up your shsh have a look at this it is very easy to do http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/05/...cid-shsh-using-firmware-umbrella-windows.html

6. ckygetz thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. So, here are a few cases (please explain how I would handle them):

1. Restore to original 3.1.3. I wouldn't need to back up my SHSH right?
    2. Restore to original 3.1.3. Then jailbreak it to 4.0. I wouldn't need to back up my SHSH right?
    3. Since, the shsh blob is in cydia's server, if I decide to update to a future firmware in the near future, and decide to downgrade, backing up the shsh files would be useless because to access cydia's server, my iPhone would need to be jailbroken. So, to downgrade, I would have to jailbreak my iPhone (if possible) then do a restore to an earlier firmware right?

Also, have you guys heard of jailbreakme? Would I need to worry about backing up my SHSh for that as well?