New to iPhone...just purchased iPhone 6 plus...wifi question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maintainin, Dec 17, 2014.

1. maintainin macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been using android phone for years and just purchased my first iPhone today. I've had iPads for years(wifi only) but am new to the iPhone. My question is how does the iPhone handle data when connected to wifi? Does all data except phone calls and maybe some texting default to wifi instead of cellular when the iPhone connects to a wireless network? On android this was the case. At home when connected to wifi all my web surfing, email, app usage on my S4 automatically went thru wifi. When I left the house it reverted back to cellular. It was dead simple. If I'm understandingright the iPhone and iOS is not like that? I have to go in and specify which apps I want to use wifi and not cellular? If so this seems ass backwards to me and a major downside. Any application on an iPhone should default to using wifi if it is available with out me having to go in and specify for every single thing? If this is true I kinda regret purchasing this already. iOS is supposed to be known for its simplicity.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

No, it's just as you described on Android. Your iPhone will use WiFi as long as it is available unless you turn off WiFi.

3. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

It's the same as android. If connected to wifi it will use wifi. If not connected it will use the data. You can actually select the apps which can use data. Talking about cellular data here.

4. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

If you're on wifi, you'll be using wifi. Some apps may require data while on wifi so data would kick in once in a while. MMS on messages, for instance, requires data when sending/receiving pictures. This does not apply to iOS to iOS devices which uses iMessage which works over wifi.

Correct me if I am wrong. This could've changed in iOS8.

5. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

It didn't change. And just FYI for the OP, the "Use Cellular Data" option that appears for each app under the settings app can be confusing I suppose for someone new to iPhone. All this means is that if you are NOT connected to wifi, can this app "Use Cellular Data"? So if you have a limited data plan, you can say, hey arbitrary app that uses a ton of background data, only do this when i'm on wifi, don't hog all my monthly data!

6. maintainin thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear. So under cellular in settings, down near the bottom where it says "use cellular data for:" and has apps such as App Store, mail, maps, etc...

If those are enabled under that it will still revert to wifi if connected to wifi? I think that is really what confusing me.

----------

Yep, that's exactly what was confusing me. Thank you all for clearing this up!

7. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Yes, essentially it is saying those apps will use cell data when wifi isn't available.

8. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

No problem! To quickly answer your second question, that list is exactly the same setting just located in another place for convenience. No app gets restricted on the iPhone to using only cellular data.