Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kondpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Hey guys. Im a newb here.

I am hopping to find more reading on some things, i hope you can achieve through open ssh.

I have cydia. open ssh. I have all ready have downloaded a emulator, through cydia. I have also downloaded a rom on my mac, and transferred it into the
private/var/mobile/media/roms/gameboy.

I hope that i could transfer music, from my mac, to the iphone through the same sort of methods.

If i can install and remove apps through this method(rather then go through cydia) this would be awsome.

I am hoping that i can transfer videos and photos back and forth?(and where there respected locations are on the iphone file system)

Along with themes

I would like to do all this with out the need to do it on the iphone. Rather, download anything i need on my laptop, and transfer it to the iphone.

Any additional reading would be great.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can Install and uninstall package using SSH but this is not recommended, Since you would have to manually keep up with updates, dependencies and other issues. Cydia will do this for you. You can alternatively use "APT", to manage your package (since Cydia is just a GUI for APT).

You can transfer music to you phone this way too and listen to it using any 3er party media player, but they will not show up on your iPod.app, since placing the music file in a directory is not enough, there are some entries on several tables on a database that need to be fill for the ipod.app to see it. This cannot not be done manually (currently).

Here is some stuff you should read: Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.