New to iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoIn2Shock, Apr 3, 2011.

1. GoIn2Shock macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Just picked up my VZ iPhone 4 on Friday and after a weekend of use I'm in love. I suffered with a Blackberry Storm over the past 20 months and the iPhone just blows it away. I've been downloading and trying apps all weekend, it has been great. I took my phone off the charger at 10:00 AM and it is midnight and still have 45% of my battery left (with alot of playing games on it during the day). I can't believe the graphics of Real Racing 2 on a phone, it amazes me.

I have heard the rumors about a summer launch for iPhone 5 and I could've waited (but I'm glad I didn't). I won't have LTE in my area for some time and in 20 months I'm sure the LTE iPhone will be out. Why wait?

My friend has a Driod Incredible, I let him play around on my phone and now he wants a iPhone :cool:. Any recommendations on screen protectors that will look and feel like I don't have one on it?

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Welcome.

My wife was/is in a similar boat. She was a DIE HARD Blackberry user. She loved her Pearl and actually resisted finally getting a Bold (Verizon version). Finally she did and loved it.

I've been trying to get her to get away from RIM for a while and after getting my Verizon iPhone (I previously had a Droid but I worked in the cell industry for over 5yrs so I have had just about every platform but WinPhone7) she immediately wanted to ditch the Blackberry.

I just FINALLY got her to dump the Berry this weekend for my old Droid, but she still wants my iPhone (at least it's a start for her).

Anyhow... I rambled. Glad you like it. I bought my VZN iPhone on the first pre-order night (so one of the original adopters) and I love the thing. I use it constantly, and I agree... it blows every other phone away in terms of overall app quality, and what it can do graphically.

If you have questions just ask.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

nice, welcome to the iPhone! :) we all (well, most) enjoy it here too! the jailbreak should be out this evening for 4.3.1!!! yay

4. goddi macrumors member

hi - your post describes exactly my experience with the iphone 4 - 5 month ago (never had a smartphone before)

i bought 4 screenprotectors (3 cheap ones from ebay and the sgp ultra christal
    i was super worried that the front glass of my phone gets scratches.

but the cheap ebay things worked like 7 days and the sgp ultra christal despite a super exact installation was not perfect and did not stick to some edges of my phone ...

now i am protector less on the front side. no scratches (i put phone seperate to other things in my pockets and use an apple bumper because the phone feels super slippery to me if "naked")

another reason to get rid of front protector: i experienced that for me glass is the best surface for the touchscreen.

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Hi and welcome!

I would personally stay away from screen protectors as they will prevent you from enjoying the display at its full potential. :)

6. bizfox macrumors member

While some people enjoy having no screen protectors on their iPhones, there are others who still want that "extra" just in case. If you don't want to sacrifice the retina display of your IP4, then I would recommend using the Power Support Crystal shield. It works well for me against potential scratches. Of course, any screen protector will not prevent the glass from shattering when the device has been dropped, etc. in any way.

7. GoIn2Shock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input on the screen protectors. I might hold off on a screen protector for now to see how it holds up. My next couple purchases will be: Apple bumper, car charger, and Apple iPhone 4 dock. I think that I'm going to hate covering up this beautiful phone.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There are many minimalist cases such as this one that allow you to see the design of the phone while offering it some level of protection.

9. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I have a Speck case and dig it. A friend gave it to me for my trip to Disney (previously I had kept it naked) and it grew on me.

I kind of like this case, too.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355779

Otherwise instead of a car charger look at a USB charger. I've been using this instead. That way you can charge any USB device in your car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TULUI4

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Agreed

11. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying your iPhone. :) I remember the first day I purchased my first ever iPhone. I swear I spent the first week in the App Store. :)

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Congrats OP :)

[unrelated] where do people get the idea that protectors reduce the clarity of the screen?

13. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Congratulations on your new iPhone! Once you get one you are hooked for sure. I use to have cases, bumpers, and screen protectors but I just hated the way they made the phone look. I have been going naked for about 6 months and not one single scratch. This is not for everyone and I have become a little OCD on where I lay my phone and how I handle it to keep it looking brand new. Whatever you decide just enjoy your new phone!:)

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I recommend that you KEEP the Storm that you suffered with for a while.:eek:

15. GoIn2Shock thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen some friends with the anti-glare screen protector and it totally dulls the screen.

Why is that?

16. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Likely an Android fanboy. They're crawling all over this forum, beware!

But welcome to the wonderful world of iPhone! Personally, I do go screen protector because scratches on a screen drive me CRAZY! But I can see how some people don't want one.

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Somewhat, yes. That's the trade off.
    If you get a 'crystal clear' type of protector it'll look just the same (despite what you hear from the people who applied it incorrectly- obviously it'll look horrible if you do that).

What does the BlackBerry Storm have anything to do with Android?

And OP: Apple fanboys are crawling all over this... ah fuggedaboutit.

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The people who moan about screen protectors either a) don't like the feel of them, or b) they cannot apply them properly.

It took me a while during my iPod touch days, but now I can apply screen protectors with no bubbles or dirt caught underneath and aligned perfectly.

Takes some practice, but it's worth it because all it takes is one rushed slide into the wrong pocket, with the wrong contents, and it's scratched.