New to Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Downhilltenago, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Downhilltenago macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Hello,

I want to try and make this as short as possible. After years and years of my wife asking, I am going to finally give the newest iPhone a try when it is released this year. My wife, daughter, and son all have apple products. I was a blackberry fan and user for forever and love android. So I just want to get some information from you guys. What is the best way to move my music from my Android phone to an iPhone. Also having used my wifes iPhone I hate their keyboard. What would you say is the best keyboard for an iPhone? Any other tips or tricks positives and negatives I should know about, to help a newbie adjust would be appreciated. I know the new phone doesn't launch until next month sometime but I want to get a head start and leg up.

Thanks in Advance!

2. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Regarding the kb, I didn't like it either coming from Android. I tried a few others but found some hiccups like not being able to easily speak messages, no option. In any case I also didn't like all the permissions and ended up going back to the oem kb, got used to it and now it is working very well for me. So maybe if you tried it for awhile on a regular basis you'd be ok with it.

3. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Apples keyboard has come a long way I think. Gboard was my go to on android but that app as expected lacked features in iOS. What really drew me in to iOS kb was the 3D Touch cursor move. That feature alone makes correcting typos a breeze or adding text etc.

Give it a try you will no doubt adjust and accept that third party keyboards in iOS are just plain awful, klunky.

I tunes is the application you will need. How is your music stored? Knowing this will heavily dictate the steps required to get your music into the iOS world. If your music is in google music then iOS does provide such an app but you'd be forever streaming your music rather than playing locally on your phone.

4. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

It's from the amazon music... but saved on my sd card I believe. Apple I Store has the amazon music app? If so I could just download that and then save the music on my iPhone... is that right?

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

More or less. You could only listen to it within that app, but yes.

6. Jawn_Dough macrumors newbie

Jawn_Dough

I used to use swiftkey on my Android. Its not terrible for the iPhone but I have learned to love the regular Apple keyboard.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

When I came to iPhone from a Blackberry, I hated the keyboard. For about half a day. With repeated use, it became so easy and fast to use that there's no way I could conceive of going back to a physical (or even just a non-Apple) keyboard now. Hopefully your experience will be just as quick and painless!

8. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Doubt it but we will see. I love the blackberry virtual keyboard where you can flick up for words and swipe down for the symbols.

9. marty1980 macrumors 6502

If your music is already on Amazon or Google, you can just download the app and play your music from there.

If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can import your music files into iTunes on macOS or Windows and Match your songs. Match gives you the equivalent song, but may be a higher quality file from the iTunes Store instead of your original file. When iTunes can't find a match it just uploads the file. Once your music is uploaded through Match you can then load your iCloud Library onto your phone and enjoy. You can even enable streaming if you need to save storage space. If you don't want the monthly Apple Music fee, you can pay an annual subscription to Match for $25/year.

If you don't want to deal with services like Music and Match, you can still use iTunes to copy you music to your phone the old fashioned way of plugging your phone into the computer via USB and syncing with iTunes.

I've never owned a personal Android phone. I have an LG Gpad 7 tablet and I use the Gboard keyboard as my go-to for that. I've tried Gboard for iOS and it was very similar to what I use on Android. Swiftkey is another keyboard available on both Android and iOS. I always fall back to the standard iOS keyboard.

There's been some updates to iOS since I last used a 3rd party keyboard, but last I did there were some quirks. For example: occasionally you may be required to use the iOS keyboard. A bit annoying but easy enough to get over.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Sounds like you've given up before you've even started!

Yes it will take time and not everyone likes change but I think all he benefits will outweigh any challenges you face.

Are your family using a family apple plan and sharing? This will be another added benefit you won't get as good elsewhere!

11. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Don't think so. We have unlimited through at&t... thats all I know. What is the family apple plan?

12. marty1980 macrumors 6502

It's not a "plan." You create a Family of up to 6 Apple IDs which can then share Music, Movies, and App purchases made from any of those 6 accounts. There's parental controls for parents and a few other features. It's free as part of owning Apple devices and using their services.

Details at https://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

13. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Yep wife just told me.

14. Thaddeuz macrumors member

You hate the keyboard?
    iPhone has the best keyboard!!! Android phones ewww

15. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

In my opinion the blackberry suites virtual keyboard is just amazing. Sad I can't have that on an iPhone. But I will find something that works for me. I actually want to try the Word flow keyboard. It looks interesting.

16. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Hardly. The fact you have to switch to a new keyboard mode to type in numbers rules it out. I still get envious of my old Note 3 keyboard whenever I use it (my daughter uses the phone now).

17. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Pretty much but I don't want to come in here and seem like I was bashing apple. But it's hard to go from what I use now to an apple keyboard. Having to switch like you said just to type a number or ending mark is crazy inefficient as a keyboard enthusiasts.

18. off_piste macrumors 6502a

The ending mark, as long as it's a period isn't a problem. You just double space and it automatically creates a period. Now, if you need to add commas or other punctuation and special characters that's a different story. Passwords are a real PITA.

19. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Yeah I'm sure I will find something better.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You can certainly download other keyboards and install them. Look around the App Store.

21. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

Yep that will be my first goal. Find a keyboard that works for me.

22. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Do people not know you can hold the number button to briefly show the numbers/ characters then slide your finger to the one you want. When you release it reverts to letters again!

23. Downhilltenago, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

I'm not sure will have to try on the wife's phone.

Edit: ok tried this and I'm not sure what you meant. You can press the number button and it brings up the numbers. It does nothing differently if you hold it. But I did find that the space bar by holding it allows you to edit and move spaces fairly easily which is REALLY good.

24. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Maybe I hadn't explained it well! Basically if I hold my finger on the 123 button the Kb changes as if I've pressed the button. Sliding over to my chosen number and it highlighting will choose that character upon taking my finger off the screen. The Kb then reverts to letters again.

Which iPhone does she have? I've a 7.

25. Downhilltenago thread starter macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

She has a 7 plus... I tried it again. If I am doing what you are suggesting right it doesn't seem better. I guess it doesn't seem practical to me.