New to Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gdog2044, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Gdog2044 macrumors newbie

I just got the i phone today and I have a question. I have been reading about jailbreak but I am not sure excatly what that does for me.

I want to be able to watch videos using shockwave player or whatever the website requires.

Can someone please tell me what a jailbreak is and if I have to do it to be able to watch videos.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Jailbreaking your iPhone will not allow you to install Flash, Java or Shockwave. There are a few reasons these aren't available for the iPhone yet, mainly though it's Apple's reasons, but their reasons relate to battery life, and if you were able to run those 3 codecs on your iPhone, your battery would be dead quite fast, making the phone useless.

If you can, try find a site that doesn't require those things, such as Youtube.

In fact Shockwave is hideously out of date and doesn't even work on Intel-macs that have been out for a couple years (unless you run Safari under Rosetta).

3. Gdog2044 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I never really used a MAC...All i want to do is watch videos on other sites besides youtube.

Is there any way to do this?

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Flash and other such codecs (are they codecs) are not supported on the iPhone, and probably wont be for a little while, but check back after MacWorld and perhaps they will be supported ?

Either way, right now, jailbreaking will not achieve what you want. If you go to the iPhone specs online you'll see what is supported in terms of video and audio formats. Work from there.

Downloading podcasts and vodcasts to iTunes and then syncing them to your iPhone would seem to be the way to go.

5. Gdog2044 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you for that info..hopefully they will change this soon.