New to iPhones in general; question about BB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by IWantAnA2, Apr 7, 2011.

1. IWantAnA2 macrumors newbie

Ok, I just picked up an iPhone 4. The firmware is 4.3.0, and the baseband is 4.10.01. Can this be jailbroken, and by which software? Is the baseband just incompatible with being unlocked, or does it also stop me from jailbreaking? I won't be using the phone on any other service than AT&T. I suppose an untethered jailbreak is the best?

I've rooted Android phones and the like, so I'm not a total phone moron, but I'm sure I have quite a bit to learn about iPhones.

Thanks!

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you care about unlocking, then you pay attention to bb. If you care about jb, then you worry about the iOS.
    Go to iclarified for info about jb.

3. draz macrumors 6502a

If you plan on sticking with AT&T then pay no attention to baseband, unlocking, and ultrasn0w talk.

You can jailbreak iOS 4.3.0 but I believe it is tethered only. So update to 4.3.1 and get the untethered redsn0w jailbreak, in addition to the other bug fixes in that update.

redsn0w 0.9.6rc11
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/4332841631/three-years-of-pwnage-tool
    Near the middle of that are the links to the latest version for Mac and Windows.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like the guys said above if you dont care about unlocking and using it on another carrier dont worry about the baseband.
    Update to the latest 4.3.1 and jailbreak untethered with redsnow.

5. IWantAnA2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantastic. I've read quite a bit, but a lot of threads I've read are vague. In order for me to jailbreak 4.3.1, I need to update through iTunes to 4.3.1, download the IPSW for 4.3.1, and then run Redsn0w? Anything I should look out for? Quirks and such?

6. draz macrumors 6502a

7. IWantAnA2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. I really appreciate the help, everyone. I've honestly felt really dumb with the whole iPhone thing, but it seems rather easy once it's dissected.

Thanks for the link to the walkthrough!

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can either update through itunes or d/l the ipsw. I prefer to d/l the ipsw, just in case the install goes fubar.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. draz macrumors 6502a

iTunes does download the IPSW and place it in:

Windows:
    %Userprofile%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Mac:
    username/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/

So next time it goes fubar just go there and grab it :p

11. IWantAnA2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... I have the IPSW file downloading through Mozilla right now, and I believe also through iTunes. Not necessary? So, I'm applying the update twice? Once in iTunes, and then once through Redsn0w?

If so, how do I apply that file through iTunes?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont really apply twice.
    You just update your phone thru itunes and then redsnow will ask you to point it to your stock 4.3.1 ipsw that you download it and then it will do its thing to jb your phone.
    Make sure your iphone is finished updating to 4.3.1 and has activated thru itunes before you run redsnow.

13. IWantAnA2 thread starter macrumors newbie

For the life of me, I can not even find the folder through windows explorer. I can't find those folders for the life of me.

I feel pretty dumb right now.

14. draz macrumors 6502a

Copy and paste
    %Userprofile%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Into the address bar and see what happens

15. IWantAnA2, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

IWantAnA2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well look at that... Ha.

Edit: My Mozilla download is going MUCH faster. Can I use that file, or do I have to wait for the one from the iTunes application to actually download?

16. draz macrumors 6502a

You can use the Mozilla one. Just need to ignore the popups in iTunes about updating.

Then hold down Shift and click on the Restore button. A window will come up, go to the directory where Mozilla is saving your IPSW file and select it. Let iTunes do its thing and your all good to continue with redsn0w.

Just remember to backup your iPhone before you start, it should do it automatically but it never hurts to do it yourself before you update.

17. IWantAnA2, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

IWantAnA2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I must have done something wrong at some point. The application is stuck on "Uploading ramdisk" and the iPhone is stuck on Downloading Jailbreak Data...

Insight?

Edit: I must not have held the buttons right, I just cancelled and it's doing its magic now.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I think it's easier to go to Lithium/pwnage4.2.1/.:cool: Lithium is one of the names of my drobo volumes and the next section tells me which iOS I'm JBing.