New to iphoto....

Nutzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
All,

I'm new to iPhoto and wondering if I perform this function on a picture. I would like to remove an object in the picture say a part of scarf or face, and blend it so it looks like the background say the sky or sand.

Sorry if I'm not using the correct syntax with photo editing.

Thanks for any advice.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Unless something has been added to iPhoto recently, then - no, iPhoto will not do what you want. You will need one of the Photoshops (Elements, or the full deal Photoshop), GIMP, or a another editing program.

Cheers

Seth

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
iPhoto is simply a photo manager. Outside of making a picture black and white or boosting color, it can't do anything like what you want. You will need Photoshop or something similar to do that.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I don't know what the other two posters are talking about, but iPhoto does a lot more than just makes pictures black and white or just organize photos.

After you select the photo that you want to touch up, in the lower right hand part of the screen you'll see the "Edit" command (looks like a pencil). After the editor opens up, go to the Quick Fixes tab and select on "Retouch". This brush will act like a healing brush - it tries to fill in the area that you select with what it thinks would exist in the background. It's not as powerful like the "Clone" tool in Aperture or other image editors, but it does a pretty decent job with stray hairs, telephone wires, blemishes, etc. Give that a try and see what you can do with it.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
I don't know what the other two posters are talking about, but iPhoto does a lot more than just makes pictures black and white or just organize photos.

After you select the photo that you want to touch up, in the lower right hand part of the screen you'll see the "Edit" command (looks like a pencil). After the editor opens up, go to the Quick Fixes tab and select on "Retouch". This brush will act like a healing brush - it tries to fill in the area that you select with what it thinks would exist in the background. It's not as powerful like the "Clone" tool in Aperture or other image editors, but it does a pretty decent job with stray hairs, telephone wires, blemishes, etc. Give that a try and see what you can do with it.
I doubt the retouch feature would help the OP much...too large of an area to fill.

Nutzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks all for the replies...I ended up downloading GIMP and did what I need to do. Works great!

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.