New to iPod Touch - how to get videos into it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theanimala, Sep 3, 2010.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

At the last minute I decided to spring for the 64GB iPod Touch vs the 32GB, figuring I would like to load up some movies on it.

Heres the thing, I have lots of independent, small budget films on DVD. These are not copy protected big budget films. How do I get them into the touch? Is there a simple way to rip it off of the DVD?

I believe TV shows and new movies I can get from the iTunes store which is fine for me, but I am wondering if there is an easy way to load up these other movies that I'm sure will never be on anything like iTunes.

Thanks!

2. Code.Red macrumors regular

You'll have to convert your video files into something that the iPod touch can open. There are many, many programs that do this, so I'm sure people will chime in with their favorite software.

Mine is Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/). You just choose the video file (either from the DVD or on your computer) you want to convert as the "Source", choose the iPod touch & iPhone preset on the right, and press "Start" to convert. For the retina display, you'll want to double the width and height of the picture, but this will also increase the file size.

That will create the video file that you can drag into iTunes, and can be sync'd onto your iPod touch.