Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Yes, ok, I'm a little late to the party. I guess I've always just considered iPod's to be another MP3 player that just has a better brand name and a sexy look. My last MP3 player was a Sony A1000. I thought it looked great and hey, it's Sony, it'll sound great. I was so wrong there.

So anyway, today I picked up a silver 4GB iPod Nano. At a shave over £100 buying one of those droolworthy little boxes was the easiest thing I've ever done.

The integration with iTunes is just hillarious. I'm sorry, but how the hell does any other company sell a single MP3 player these days? My library is still on a Windows machine, but it was nothing to connect the iPod and let iTunes do its stuff. Not only did it let me know that I needed to update my iPods software (from inside iTunes? No messy downloads/flashing rubbish?) but it had my music library and album art copied over in the relative blink of an eye.

Even the supplied headphones sound great. I prefer the inner ear style, but upon hearing the supplied headphones provided better sound than was possible with my A1000 with my Sennheisers I knew I was in for a treat. I'm listening through my Sennheisers now and I'm really shocked at what I've been missing.

This thing, in it's little dock that I picked up, is going to look sick sharing a desk with my Mac Pro and ACD. I'm so impressed. Of all the Apple products I've thrust upon myself in the short time since the switch to Intel the new iPod Nano has given me by far the best out-of-the-box experience.

And so I come to realise that it's not just hype after all. If you're not on the bandwagon already then for god's sake stop pratting around with the other players on the market and pocket an iPod.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Nice to be reminded that it's such an innovative, cool little item. I LOVE my new nano (although it's my 5th iPod). I'm with you, I can't imagine how any competitor is able to capture market share against the iPod.

Welcome to your new iPod life.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
miniConvert said:
I'm sorry, but how the hell does any other company sell a single MP3 player these days?

Sadly, I think the answer is...

miniConvert said:
I guess I've always just considered iPod's to be another MP3 player that just has a better brand name and a sexy look. My last MP3 player was a Sony A1000. I thought it looked great and hey, it's Sony, it'll sound great. I was so wrong there.

:D

But welcome to the family! ;) The new nanos are really drool worthy... I so agree. I have a third generation full size iPod -- a 15GB one from Feb 2004, which means it's getting moderately ancient now -- and I'm starting to get re-tempted myself!

barnacle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
here here,, same with me. this is my first ipod or apple product ever and friends are equaly as impressed as i am. 2 friends have bought one simply from seeing mine, and two more are ordering them up for their trips to the states!
we are limited here with music choices, especialy at the bars. satalite radio, no one wants to deal with a monthly bill. with my cd collection, hard drive library, and free time,, some bars are now equiped with ipod systems and loving it!!:D

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
:eek: im shocked. An iPod thread which praises them instead of bashing them? Impossible!

Good stuff miniConvert! Congrats on your purchase. Don't feel ashamed to show us some pics as well :D

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I find it interesting to step off the bandwagon every now and again, buy something else, point and laugh at it (and the people who praise them) and get yet another iPod.

MP3 player is one area in which Apple have never lost me since '03. Too many manufacturers (and the 'anything but iPod' people) concentrate on features or looks and forget that with this class of product the real differentiator is how it works. And Apple has that down pat while most other makers are taking baby steps. For competition's sake I do hope Zune has made some steps towards usability.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
i attempted to add a photo,, i used the little paperclip icon in the reply screen,, waited for the photo to upload, now how do i get it out here??:confused:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
barnacle said:
i attempted to add a photo,, i used the little paperclip icon in the reply screen,, waited for the photo to upload, now how do i get it out here??:confused:

To show an image that is already on the net, copy the image address and then paste it into the dialogue box that appears when you click the little mountain icon.

To upload an image, use the Manage Attachments option a bit farther down the page.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
fogive me for being a bone-head,,
i open the manage attachments window, upload file from my computer, wait for a few minutes till it finishes loading, but then, where the hell is it?
and how do i post it here?
sorry,, i'm new.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
podly-chillin.jpg

Ok,, i think i got it! our happy hour entertainment most evenings, weather permitting.

Attachments

• podly-chillin.jpg
    podly-chillin.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 113
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.