New to iTouch would like to add my mp3 !

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by AudreyC, Jan 26, 2008.

1. AudreyC macrumors newbie

Hi to All,

Hope I'm posting in the correct forum, very sorry if not ...

I recently purchased a iTouch (used) from a friend. My friend had purchased quite a bit off iTunes and she left them on the iTouch for me.

Couple of things I would like to know I'm still a little confused about. I know some of these ? will make a few laugh ....

1. Will I lose the music currently on the iTouch if I jailbreak it ?
    2. If true, is there a way for me to backup these files to my PC ?
    3. When the instructions mention "Go to iTunes", does that mean you need a membership on the iTunes website? I don't want to purchase new music I want to use my CD's, even if I don't get the beautiful cover art (would be nice).
    4. When I put my MP3's on there will I get that wonderful cover art ?
    5. In somecase my girlfriend only purchased one or two songs from a album, some of those I have the original CD and wma files, can I just add the missing songs/tracks from my CD ?
    6. I would like to know what are (is) the best WMA-to-MP3 converter for adding Music to the iTouch

The current firmware on my iTouch per the Setting button is 1.1.2.

PS: I'm very computer savvy, just NEW to iPods (iTouch), and creating mp3's (I have a very large collection of CD's, 300+)

THX in advance for any assitance

Audrey

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No you cannot copy the music back to you computer, and when you sync it with your computer all music that is on the iPod that you don't have will be erased. Also to jailbreak it you will need to downgrade to firmware 1.1.1, which will erase the iPod.

To put the music that you own on it, just open the program iTunes and import your cds, and then snyc the computer and iPod.

3. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

g'Day. Well to help out.
    1: No, you won't lost your music collection if you jailbreak it. If I did, I wouldn't be so eager to jailbreak everytime a new jailbreak comes out. Be alot of work to keep on dragging my music back.
    2: I don't know about backing up the music files so can't say.
    3: I don't know if you need an iTunes account but if you do, you can just sign up for one, its free and you don't have to buy anything. I have an itunes account but a majority of my music is from my CD collection.
    4: sometimes if you rip your own MP3's it won't have the cover art but you can easily add your own coverart if you just dedicate some time. In iTunes you right click on a song and it will bring up a sub-menu, just click on Get Info, then click on the artwork tab and inside that tab you can paste your album art. I use Amazon to help me find album art.
    5: Yes you can easily add the music tracks from your cd. The quickest way is to go into iTunes, Edit, Prefrences, then click on the Advanced Tab and then on the Importing tab. At the On Cd Insert pulldown, click on Import CD and Eject. This basically lets you put a cd inside your computer, it will import the cd and after its done importing, it will eject waiting for your next CD.
    6: I believe dBpoweramp is something you'll be looking for to convert your files.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new touch ^_^/

4. View macrumors regular

And you will get the album arts for most of them if you sign in to your iTunes account and select Advanced > Get Album Artwork.

5. AudreyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Dark Angel for the very clear explaination .....

Regarding ur #5, I assume this is after you jailbreak it. When I go to iTunes I only have Featured, Top Ten, Search, Downloads at the bottom of the screen.

When I go to iTunes and I try to create an account, after keying in the email addy it wants, on the next page it's want 34.95 for a one time sign-up charge and 14.95 for movies

Movies I will attempt to do later, I know how to use DVDFab .... first task is to get my CD's on the iPod .....

6. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

* delete me please*

7. AudreyC thread starter macrumors newbie

j
    Does than mean on the computer or on the ipod, I don't see a import your cd button, after jailbreaking ? ?

The sync I'm a little confused with as well .... see attached

THX for the reply mrkramer

Attached Files:

8. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

iTunes will never charge you for a sign up fee. Ever! In guessing why its asking you for that amount of money is that you probably have a shopping cart in your iTunes and most likely have entered stuff in the que and now that you're entering a credit card its telling you it wants to charge you for those things. iTunes never charges for sign up.

9. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

go to apple.com/support they have tutorials there that can be of great use to you on how to sync music import cd's transfer videos and photos etc

10. AudreyC thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope .... guess i'm going to the wrong link ... was gong here from a Google search

http://www.ipodooo.com/itunes/join.html

Is this the correct location

http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/

So I guess I need iTunes7 ..... wow I feel like I'm really getting somewhere now .... THX everyone !!!! ;-)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/sync/

11. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Ohhh nooo, I mean iTunes on the computer. Not on the iPod touch. Wow, I don't remember a page like that when I signed up.

12. Fofer macrumors 6502a

You're "very computer savvy," but a Google search led you to confuse http://www.ipodooo.com/itunes/join.html with Apple's real page at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ ?

:confused:

Oooookay. Whatever. Here, lemme try and help some more...

There are very many "iPod reversal" apps out there, that would help you extract those files and put them into your iTunes, so that when your iPod touch is wiped clean and re-synced, you'll retain that music. The problem is, as most of those are purchased from iTunes, is that they most likely have DRM attached to them. If you try to play them, iTunes will ask for the original purchaser's iTunes Store password, which I doubt you have. (The only exception would be if those purchases were the newish "iTunes Plus" format which means, higher bitrate and no DRM.)

iTunes for Windows can automatically convert (unprotected) WMA files for you, upon import. Couldn't be simpler. The default import filetype is AAC but this is easily changed to MP3 in the iTunes preference pane (Advanced -> Importing.)