New to iTunes, Need help with iTunes and creating a custom folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maf2k8, Jun 23, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok i am a bit new to iTunes. What i am trying to do i dont think can be done? Maybe i am doing it wrong? or maybe there is another way to do it?

I have a folder full of songs ( pretty much 1 Hit Wonders ) rather then having the entire album from that band, I just have the 1 song i like.

Well iTunes likes to create a entire folder for each individual song and artist but what I would like to do is either create my own custom album ( MIX STUFF ) or something to where i can put all these single songs into, sort of like a playlist but whenever i try to add them, iTunes creates separate folders for each song and artist.

Could someone walk me thru How or If i can do this?

Do i need to make a playlist? ( name it MIX ) but if i do that, wont each folder/artist/song still be in the library in iTunes?

Sure hope i am making sense here...

Thanks.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Is there a particular reason you are concerned how the files are placed on the filesystem? I let iTunes manage this automatically and never touch the filesystem.

If you want to do this manually, you can disable this in Preferences, but I really think you're worrying about something that doesn't matter. You can always add a playlist and add those songs to it. While a song is in a playlist, it remains in the library. Think of a playlist as nothing more than a view of different songs from the library.

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if i have a 100+ single songs, 1 from each artist, Its tends to take up a lot of space ( album covers ) for just 1 simple song from that artist.

I much rather just have 1 folder or album with all those songs in there, sort of like a mixed CD.

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I think you should take some time trying the iTunes way... I'm sure you'll find it better. It doesn't matter if those songs get put into separate folders in the finder, you never have to look at them there. Once they are in iTunes, you can put them all in a playlist. The benefit to this is they can be in more than one place at once- in your main library, in multiple playlists, etc, without duplicating the file. If you do this in the finder you'll find it a lot less flexible.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

The folder structure isn't taking away disk space, only the songs. So once iTunes adds them in and you create a playlist, the songs in the playlist are links to the original songs, not duplicates.