New to iWeb 09 - Looking for best resources & Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by msksport, Dec 17, 2009.

1. msksport macrumors newbie

I have never used iWeb 09 before.

I am looking for a book, CD or DVD, templates, or Web site to help me develop my first iWeb site? I want to to do Flash Animation. Nothing big in Flash just something for the first page.

This first web site is for my small business so I want to make sure it looks professional. I want to be able to use twitter, youtube, etc... links.

Or should I just have a professional do the web page?

Thank you.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

One thing to remember. If you use flash as an intro or base your site on flash then the big growing market of smartphones and users that say no to flash will not see or use your site. Example a gym that use flash for booking. Do try to minimize flash use for everyones best.

3. msksport thread starter macrumors newbie

Any Suggestions on quality hosting companies that help?

Thank you for the Great advice Frosties. I think I will stay away from Flash.
    I just tried my iPhone on one web site I liked and you were correct.

Someone mentioned to make sure I am listed in the Google and other web sites and keep track of web stats.

Any suggestions on who to use for hosting and how to make sure I am listed on Google and other web site and keep track of web stats.

Still looking for any suggestions also on books, web sites, etc... for advice.

Thank you.

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Now now, while its true the Iphone can't use Flash, that doesn't mean its a bad idea to not use it.
    It is possible to redirect users to different versions of your website depending on what they're looking at it from either through code or by making a first page offering the option to the user to see the Flash animation or not.

Anyways, as to hosting, I don't really think it matters, your site will end up on Google regardless, though the its position may not be as high up as you'd like, for instance, my site is on google, but you pretty much have to search very specifically to find it. My site is hosted with http://www.surpasshosting.com/, great so far, though you may want to buy the domain elsewhere as they seem to charge more then other sites.

As to books and materials, now I may be wrong about this, but I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you pick. Since Iweb is pretty much just dragging, dropping and adjusting things, it seems hard to believe that someone could actually write a bad book about it. Amazon is usually a good place to pick up books on the cheap, also, if you'd rather not buy anything, I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials online.