New to iWeb, advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miamialley, Aug 18, 2010.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I haven't created a web site since Frontpage back in the day. I'm using iWeb '08 and am wondering the difference between using MobileMe and uploading using FTP. What are the benefits/disadvantages of each?

What about hosting sites which work with iWeb? Looks like godaddy works fine with it. Any advice?

2. BSchorr macrumors member

I have used iWeb alot recently. MobileMe is basically an online Hard drive storage with website hosting features. Uploading to FTP means.. After you purchase a Domain name like... www.Whatever.com and then also purchase a webhosting plan like.. 10 gig space/ 100gig bandwidth for $5 a month. You can then upload your site to your hosting, and go to www.whatever.com to see it.

I have never used MobileMe, but I think Mac/Apple made it pretty easy and seemless. If your not using to the HTML side of website building, and the knowledge it takes to configure and run a website with Domains, MYSQL, Namservers, and Webhosting.. I would try Mobileme.. As a matter of fact, I think i will try it in the next few days..? Im not sure if you can purchase a certain domain name like www.whatever.com and link it to your mobile me account?

Any webhosting will work with iweb.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a mobileme account then uploading to apple servers need to be handled by iWeb's mobileme interface. If you host your website outside of mobileme, then either exporting the site and then manually ftping them or letting iweb ftp them to your site.

Depending on what you want and what you expect will dictate whether mobileme/godaddy/any other web host fits your bill. Its really a personal preference based on needs and budget.

For simple stuff, stay with mobileme and see how that works and then move up if you feel the need.