New to jailbreaking and unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marlon71usa, Nov 6, 2011.

1. marlon71usa macrumors newbie

I'm new to the jailbreaking community and wish to pointed in the right direction.

I've just obtained an Iphone 4 with firmware 4.0.2 and baseband 01.59.00.

I want to jailbreak and unlock to use with T-Mobile. I want to go to ios5 while preserving my baseband. I see a bunch of programs ending in snow or rain. I don't want to make a mistake and upgrade my baseband. Will the jailbreak and unlock be unteathered?

Any help appreciated...

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your baseband is a rare one that can be unlocked. Going to IOS5 is possible but you will get a tethered jailbreak. In case you do not understand a tethered jailbreak means the phone must be plugged into a computer to boot. if you battery runs down and you are not near a computer then you have an unusable phone.

You might want to consider waiting for the untether before you go to ios5.

If you still want to go forward here is a tutorial.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=17344

This will allow you to update and JB ios5 and keep the 1.59 baseband.
    Be very careful and understand what you are doing because if you update the baseband you
    will not be able to use ultrasnow.

You then use Ultrasnow an application on Cydia to unlock.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Right now if you go to 5.0 it will be a tethered JB so I'd wait for an untethered release if I was you.
    Then you will have to build a custom ipsw using pwnage, redsnow or snowbreeze to maintain your unlockable baseband etc...

4. iNipponRyan97 macrumors newbie

iNipponRyan97

Luckily like said above, you have a rare unlockable baseband. The bad news is that if you want to update you have to follow these steps and it will be a tethered jailbreak, meaning you have to connect the iPhone 4 to your computer to restart.

NOTE: This is a "tethered" jailbreak, meaning you have to connect your iPhone to your computer if you want to restart or if it crashes, reboots automatically or if anything else happens that shuts off the device expectedly or unexpectedly. More instructions will be posted below. I am not responsible for you not following these steps correctly, as I did not type in the wrong things. Thank you and without further ado...

OK here we go!

First search for "sn0wbreeze" on Google.

Download Sn0wbreeze 2.8b10 and extract it using WinRAR, which you have to download as well.

Open up Sn0wbreeze and press OK and then Close Credits.

Download the iOS 5.0 IPSW. Search for "iOS 5 IPSW download" on Google.

Once it is done downloading, open up Sn0wbreeze and click "Browse..." and select the IPSW that you downloaded.

After that press the blue next button and press "Simple Mode." This should preserve the baseband as it says that every mode doesn't update the baseband. In the newer versions the Baseband Preservation Mode has been removed, but Simple Mode still preserves it without updating it.

DOWNLOAD ITUNES NOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT, THE NEXT STEP WILL RUIN YOUR IPHONE WITHOUT IT!

Click it and press next. It will start building the custom IPSW. When it is done it will ask you to follow the instructions to enter a pwned DFU mode. Once that is done you must connect your iPhone to your computer and download iTunes by searching for it on Google. Then you will connect your device and it will open up a screen for it saying it must be restored. While holding the shift button click Restore and it should open up a folder screen. Click on the IPSW that Sn0wbreeze made. It should be in the Desktop folder. After that iTunes will begin restoring and updating your iPhone to the custom IPSW.

When everything is finished you will have to reboot with iBooty which is located on the Desktop. You must plug your iPhone into your computer and use iBooty to reboot.

You can preserve SHSH using TinyUmbrella.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You should invest some research time first. There are plenty of people who can give you instructions, but if you don't know what you're doing you will screw it up.
    Read up on the following:
    Dev team's web site
    Tiny umbrella
    Tethered/untethered JB
    Pwnage/snowbreeze
    Ultrasnow

If you can't fully explain to a lay user what these are and why they're important, you're not ready.
    Be patient. I suggest investing an hour a night reading through posts on this board along with reading about the above terms.