New to jailbreaking (Cydia), need advice re: updates

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thezoostation, Jan 15, 2012.

1. thezoostation macrumors newbie

So, I recently purchased an jailbroken iphone 3gs for the purpose of having an unlocked phone I can use while in Europe without having to pay European prices for the phone. It was jailbroken using Cydia. Everything is working quite well, except for the fact that it is currently running iOS 4.1 and I can't download iBooks.

I have a couple of questions about how to fix this. I know that if I update to iOS 5, I won't be able to unlock it. Is there a way to update to prior iOS updates past 4.1 without going all the way to 5? If so, would that involve re-jailbreaking it? Does Cydia offer an sort of updates that would permit newer versions of iOS? Is there a way to download more recent apps without updating iOS at all? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can use redsnow I think, and create a custom restore package. To do this when u go into redsnow, I think you hit extra's(at least on latest redsnow) and find find "preserve baseband" and it will let you update to 5.0.1 and keep your unlockable BB.

3. thezoostation thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks. I'm looking at the redsnow discussion and it says that running BB 06.15.00 causes problems when unlocking and using iOS 5. Anyone know if this is true, details, etc?