New to Jailbreaking, Please Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dgstarr7188, May 11, 2012.

1. dgstarr7188 macrumors newbie

This is my first thread and i have an iPhone 4 16GB. I want to jailbreak it because i want to use it as a mobile hotspot so i can connect to the internet with my iPad 32GB WiFi. We take a lot of trips to California and being able to use Netflix on the road would be awesome for my son. I am not computer stupid i am able to understand most tech jibber but i am a complete novice to Jailbreaking. As i understand, i can NOT downgrade from iOS 5.1.1 to 5.0 because i did not previously save my SHSH files (whatever that means). So as of right now i am stuck with a tethered JB. I would like to know the downside to being tethered first of all. Second, is there anything i should know about all this. Like if you were trying explain this to a beginner, what are some "must know" bits of info. Also, what would be the best way to go with this. Which JB should i use..(insert name here), (insert link here). Should i wait for an un tethered JB?? All that stuff, please inform me!!! LOL...

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Tethered isn't that bad. The downside it that if you turn off your device, or need a full reboot (as opposed to a re-spring), i.e. - when your battery dies, you need a computer and a program called RedSn0w to reboot your device (although mine boots, all jailbreak features are inaccessible, and mail and Safari don't work until I reboot with a computer).

From what I understand, you need an internet connection for your computer when booting tethered as well (haven't tested it without, but others have without much success).

You are correct - you cannot downgrade to older firmwre without having your SHSH blobs (& APTicket on iOS 5+) saved.

Jailbreaking allows for a lot of great features and customization, and I competely recommend it!

3. dgstarr7188 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. That information helps me out a lot. So would you recommend waiting for an un tethered JB or should i start off with the tethered. As i understand, i can revert to normal simply by restoring my phone via iTunes. If that is the case i cant believe more people don't do this. But to start... what should i do. From step 1... like do i download RedSn0w first, i really have no idea how to even start with this stuff. Your responses are greatly appreciated...

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Personally, I went w/ the tethered JB. I'm pretty good about managing my battery, & rarely turn my phone off, so I don't have any issues. I only recommend that you avoid installing JB apps while away from the computer since some of them require you to reboot your device.

Go to iClarified.com for good detailed tutorials (Same process for 5.1.1 as for 5.1 - just be sure to download the right firmware). Good luck!

5. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Internet (Tethered Reboot)

In order to tether boot without internet you must have the firmware downloaded and selected in redsn0w before tether boot. In other words, its possible

6. dgstarr7188, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

dgstarr7188 thread starter macrumors newbie

That website is awesome. I am completely confident that i can do this now when i get home. I just have a few last questions. If i do have to restart my phone or the battery does die. Does the phone have to be powered off when i plug it into the computer and open RedSn0w, or can i charge it a little, turn it on then plug it into the computer and "just boot". OR... does it have to be in DFU mode??? And just to clarify, i CAN restore back to default settings by plugging it into iTunes right? Last one.... Is Cydia the only store i can download stuff from, like will the normal App store and iTunes on my phone work? Any cool other stuff u think i should know? The main reason i want to JB my phone is because i want to be able to use it as a mobile hotspot. Is that an App that i can download from Cydia. I was browsing there apps and i did not see anything resembling a hotspot app

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

There's this new website you can go to download apps/tweaks. It's called Lima but it's still in beta and invite only. I haven't gotten mine yet. You should stick to Cydia. It'll have everything you need.