new to Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PensiveCub, May 12, 2011.

1. PensiveCub macrumors newbie

I jailbroke for the first time with greenpois0n on iOS 4.2.1 (AT&T). I am still running this iOS and am a little nervous about updating. I dont know how to get the update (4.3.3) and then jailbreak. Will i lose data? is there a step by step out there somewhere?

2. phill50 macrumors newbie

3. Nathaniell macrumors newbie

Careful, I had a friend who jailbroke his iPod a few weeks back and lost everything. You're just playing with fire I think.

4. phill50 macrumors newbie

that sucks,,

lost everything?= ?? data/music, ipod/brick, identity, and or his life or wife ?? just kidding just wondering what lost everything? no backup?

5. iFiend, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

Dear god, just stop.

There has been a proliferation of people in the hacks forum spreading misinformation and being just plain wrong most of the time. I'll say it again - we have many new, impressionable jailbreakers come here for help, so if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your trap shut. The OP isn't playing with fire. Your friend lost everything because he didn't prepare. THAT is playing with fire.

OP - backup your phone in iTunes. Then, navigate to where the backups are located on your computer and copy and paste that backup somewhere else, just in case something goes wrong. There are many ways that you can backup your jailbroken apps and settings, so look into those options before updating to make it easier when you go to jailbreak again (I suggest PKGbackup). Then update your iPhone, restore from backup, and use the proper tool to jailbreak again.

Come back here if you need any help along the way.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Trust Ifriend not the other guy. Just take your time and fallow the steps. Stickies at the top of this section are well worth reading through.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

This man speaks the truth (not tooting my own horn, about the stickies :))

Good luck labman! Feel free to come back and ask questions.

8. PensiveCub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the great information and support. im not really that techy so having you all here to help is wonderful. I'll be trying it some time this week when i have my day off and wont have to worry about time restraings. i certainly want to be prepared and not **** up my phone. lol