New to jailbreaking.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MichaelArran, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MichaelArran macrumors newbie

Hi guys, just updated my iphone 4 to iOS 5.0, with a smooth update, no errors etc. Ive always been a one for keeping my phone organised. Not a fan of these new apps that have been installed (mainly newsstand).
    Im also a huge fan of customising my phone, themes and wallpapers etc. However, I do not want to void my warranty, as I do have a tendancy to break or lose phones. Something I know jailbreaking does. So I have a few questions:
    1) If I jailbreak my phone, and it breaks, will I be able to restore it and will the warranty still be void?
    2) What are the perks of having a jailbroken phone compared to a standard one?
    3) What are the disadvantages of jailbreaking your phone. And do the advantages oughtweigh the negatives?

Basically, is it worth my time and how would I go about it? Oh, and first post btw.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1) just do a DFU restore before taking it to the store and they will never know it was ever JBed.

2) Jailbreaking give you root access to the device, what you do after that is totally up to you, you can install app develop by developers outside Apple Store and some of this app modify the OS in way that Apple's doesn't allow you or support it.

3) Again, JB only give you root access, some of the disadvantages (which in my personally opinion is not a disadvantages at all since i got control over what i do), is that nobody is monitoring these apps, so there is no warranties on what you get, so you have to do more research, read reviews and ask in forums before you install anything.

3. MichaelArran thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay cheers mate, much appreciated. Will have a sleep on it tonight and decide tomorrow. Might give it a shot tomorrow evening, if I dont like it, will just restore it.
    Another question though - Is it difficult to jailbreak an iPhone 4? Especially with the new iOS 5.0 software? Does it involve alot of code changing etc? Or is it all automoatic? Also, is it difficult to install apps or use packages such as Cydia?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Current JB for the iP4 running iOS5 is just a tethered JB, meaning you need to rerun the JB app using a computer every time your phone reboots/restart, if you don't want to do that, you may want just to hang tight for a untethered release.

Cydia will be install at the moment you Jailbreak.

Installing apps using Cydia is as simple as installing app from Apple's App store, only diference is that you need to specify the source, for obvious reason..on the App store Apple is the only source, On the JB world anyone can have a Server with apps. (again please keep in mind this a double edge sword, is great for known developers and you can get great app, but you also get some low life trying to screw people up, read, read, read, read, google google and google some more before installing any app).

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since you are new to Jailbreaking, my recommendation is to wait until the untethered jailbreak come out for OS5 then you jailbreak your phone.

6. MichaelArran thread starter macrumors newbie

Again thanks for the advice, may hold on until the full jailbreak is released. Last question - will I still be able to download apps from the appstore with a jailbroken iPhone? Im also guessing apps that cost in the appstore will be free with Cydia?

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Once more...JB only give you root access, it doesn't change how your phone works, whatever you did before JB you will be able to do after JB, including using the App store.

NO, Apps that cost money on the Appstore are NOT FREE on Cydia or anywhere else, if you find then somewhere for free, they are stolen apps. Cydia offer free and paid app from developer outside App store that's it, it had nothing to do with stealing or pirating apps

8. MichaelArran thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the help, feel alot more informed now :)