New to Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by chainprayer, May 24, 2008.

?

Is your iPhone / iPod jailbroken?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Hello! I'm new to the iPod Touch world. I know of jailbreaking, but there are a few details I had questions about before I tried anything.

Can I damage my iPod touch? What is the best method of jailbreaking? Is it difficult to maintain (or how buggy is it)?

I would really appreciate any input you may have!

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I would suggest using ZiPhone(ziphone.org) to jailbreak your device.

If you restore, you're ipod is back to normal, so if anything bad happens you can always restore back to original work order.

I just did an 'iPhone Apps for Beginners' page that you might find useful.

3. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Welcome :)
    This is going to seem the typical obnoxious, un-helpful forum member but this has been so discussed so many times that there is a lot more information out on the web or on these forums than people are likely to explain here.
    Good luck with it all :)

4. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

use ziphone no problems at all just click on jailbreak

5. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

are there any warranty related issues I should know about concerning jailbreaking?

6. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Your Ipod Touch can not be bricked (from Jailbreaking atleast). From what I have read however, your iPhone is possible, but very unlikely. It is not allowed by Apple, but you can always restore your iPod and Apple will never know. So if you need to take it in, just restore it before you take it in and you will be fine.

(Just from what I have read about it online, don't quote me :D)

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Nah you're spot on :)

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

all these jailbreak brick claims were calmed down when it was found that the people claiming bricks where not restoring properly after non-working

I have yet to see a genuine brick claim for an ipod touch, people try to jailbreak and get stuck with script scrolling on screen like seen with ziphone and they claim bricking but infact the touch is EASILY recovered

9. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

The ONLY way you can brick it is if you manage to remove the restore partition, and the firmware off of it.

I have yet to see somone be able to do so.

Personaly, i would use (winpwn / pwnagetool) to jailbreak, i used ziphone, and it works fine, but, i prefer pwnage

10. mackydude macrumors newbie

mackydude

use ziphone. BUT REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS WORD-FOR-WORD. YOU CAN SCREW UP YOUR IPOD IF YOU DON'T. Jailbreaking is a relatively safe process, if your not an idiot. Which, I assume your not. Good luck. xD