New to Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mlrollin91, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm new to jailbreaking and I just had a quick question. I think I found the answer on google but that was for previous jailbreaks and I just wanted to check here because you all know your stuff.

If I restore my phone, jailbreak and then restore form back up, and later on I decide to go back to stock FW. If I restore and then restore from a backup that was previously jailbroken, will all the jailbroken stuff be left out and all my game/app data will be saved as it is now?

Thank you

2. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Correct. You'll go back to the stock Apple system with App Store available apps and data only. Apps available from Cydia, Rock, et.al. are not backed up by iTunes and won't be restored if you remove the jailbreak.

3. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Awesome! Thank you so much for that quick response. Much Appreciated!

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If any jail broken app that saved data on the User section it will stay after restore. for exjample, the makeitmine app, that allow you to change the carrier image file to whatever text you want. that is storage in the user section and it stay in the itunes backup.

This is mine iP4 before any jailbreak, as you can see my carrier file reads "Hacked"

[​IMG]

5. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Good to know. Thanks

6. brax45 macrumors newbie

jailbreak vs tethering

So, I'm new to jailbreaking as well. I have a 3GS and am only looking to use tethering for free. If I jailbreak my phone will that give me free tethering? Thanks!

BTW, I'm still on 3.0 just because of tethering...

7. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

I've never done any of this either so I've been reading all these threads to gather some info and knowledge. All I want is to change the damn SMS alert sounds but I'm afraid to jailbreak my iPhone. :eek:

P.S. Lockinfo looks awesome too. Lockinfo and new SMS alert sounds would make my iPhone 100% the way I want it,

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Jailbreaking is like getting a tattoo, yeah yeah sounds is all you want at the moment, once you free that beast you will be installing a new app weekly (maybe not weekly but there are a ton of good apps)

Don;t be afraid, it is safe and fun. If you just want a bit of piece of mind, wait 1 or maybe 2 weeks for the initial bugs to be iron out and the apps to be update.