New to jb, many questions.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AuroraProject, Feb 13, 2011.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 using greenpois0n. I am completely new to this, so bear with me. I have a few questions, if these have been asked before, or if some kind of faq exists please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

1. Can I retain the stock look? Or do the icons and screens have to be custom?
    2. "OEM" apps still function normally right?
    3. Can I still use the Apple app store?
    4. When you sync to iTunes, apps are copied over, does the same happen with Cydia apps? For example if I purchase MyWi and I have to wipe the phone and rejailbreak will I still have a copy of MyWi somewhere?
    5. If I decide it's not for me I can just do a restore in iTunes to go back to unjailbroken right?
    6. For greenpois0n, that's all I need right? No backing up shsh, or anything else?

I'm sure I'll think of more...

2. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

1. the stock look can be retained, just don't install winterboard or any themes :p
    2. all apps function normally
    3. yes, app store can still be used
    4. Cydia apps dont get copied over but you can get PkgBackup in cydia to back them up just incase you want to restore and rejailbreak.
    5. yes. set up as a new iPhone when prompted (NOT FROM BACKUP) and all traces of JB will be gone
    6. yes. download GP, and run it. you're all set.

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

1. Yes,no
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Cydia apps are not copied to iTunes, no. Pkgbackup (sp?) or something similar is what you want for your Cydia apps
    5. Yes
    6. Correct - though when you set up Cydia it will prompt you with something like "make my life easier" and it backs up your SHSH stuff automatically

The simple SBSettings tweak is reason alone to jailbreak. That, and 3G Unrestrictor. Those are my two "must haves"

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

6. You want to save your blobs. It will enable you to go back to 4.2.1, if you don't like the new 4.3 when it comes out. Without the correct blob, you must install the latest iOS whenever you restore your phone or do something dumb like choose erase all in your phone. JB isn't always available immediately with the release of a new iOS; people who carelessly update without blobs find this out the hard way.

5. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Ok so I do that using Tiny Umbrella? It says my 4.2.1 shsh has been saved, anything else I need to do?

6. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

nope. that'll do it. you have it saved for whenever you need it now.

7. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Thanks for the answers folks. I think I'm all set to try it.

8. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

So it is done. I've been an iPhone user for 2+ years, and I should have done this a long time ago! I did the jailbreak and installed MyWi, now I can say "so long" to my $50 a month aircard!

Thanks again folks, that was as easy as it gets.

9. Weiser878 macrumors regular

MyWi is the main reason I jailbreak.

Check out some of the tweaks now. Like Pro Switcher, Folder Enhancer, and TLert. I also like No Lock Screen and No Spot.
    They're why I stay jailbroken

Oh, and My3G so you can FaceTime without WiFi