Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I've been JB for a few months and haven't updated my phone when it pops up saying there is an update out of fear of messing something up. Are you able to do those updates if you're JB or will it brick my phone?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You are not able to do the updates. It will not brick your iPhone, but if you update you will lose your jailbreak. 6.1.2 is the last version where you could update to that was still jailbreakable. But Apple is not signing 6.1.2 anymore and now, probably not even 6.1.3 since 6.1.4 came out.

When Apple does not sign a version of iOS it means you cannot restore to it or update to it. You can only restore or update to a version Apple signs, which in this case would be 6.1.4 which is not jailbreakable. In the past there have been ways around this, but with the 4S and the 5 those methods don't work anymore.

This is the downside to jailbreaking. You have to wait until there is a jailbreak of the current version before you can update to it. When you do, you have to RE-jailbreak and then restore your data. It's not as simple anymore as doing an OTA update. So, your updates have to be planned and they have to be done within the window of time that Apple is signing updates and that the jailbreak keeps up with those updates.

That time for iOS 6.x is over. The next jailbreak will be for iOS 7. So, if you want to keep your jailbreak you are on your current version until iOS 7 has been jailbroken. That could be a while.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Depends on the current iOS version an which JB you used.

6.0-6.1.2 with evasi0n will not let you do an OTA update on the phone itself, you can only update through itunes. If you do that it will update the iOS and you will loose your JB.

Depending on which device you might or might not be able to downgrade again to previous iOS version.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
What TriJetHero said plus, OP, you can't 'brick' your phone. Please don't use this term.

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
You are not able to do the updates. It will not brick your iPhone, but if you update you will lose your jailbreak. 6.1.2 is the last version where you could update to that was still jailbreakable. But Apple is not signing 6.1.2 anymore and now, probably not even 6.1.3 since 6.1.4 came out.

When Apple does not sign a version of iOS it means you cannot restore to it or update to it. You can only restore or update to a version Apple signs, which in this case would be 6.1.4 which is not jailbreakable. In the past there have been ways around this, but with the 4S and the 5 those methods don't work anymore.

This is the downside to jailbreaking. You have to wait until there is a jailbreak of the current version before you can update to it. When you do, you have to RE-jailbreak and then restore your data. It's not as simple anymore as doing an OTA update. So, your updates have to be planned and they have to be done within the window of time that Apple is signing updates and that the jailbreak keeps up with those updates.

That time for iOS 6.x is over. The next jailbreak will be for iOS 7. So, if you want to keep your jailbreak you are on your current version until iOS 7 has been jailbroken. That could be a while.

Depends on the current iOS version an which JB you used.

6.0-6.1.2 with evasi0n will not let you do an OTA update on the phone itself, you can only update through itunes. If you do that it will update the iOS and you will loose your JB.

Depending on which device you might or might not be able to downgrade again to previous iOS version.

Thanks for the help! I'm completely happy with my 4s and not sure what iOS 7 could do to make me like it anymore than I already do.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I've been JB for a few months and haven't updated my phone when it pops up saying there is an update out of fear of messing something up. Are you able to do those updates if you're JB or will it brick my phone?

Just to make sure i understand, are you talking about iOS updates or app updates.

I assume you are talking about iOS updates, if so then there are tweaks on cydia to suppress the "pop ups" that tell you there is an iOS update.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Software Update Killer is that tweak in case you're curious. Also install ResetAllKiller too while you're at it so you or someone else doesn't accidentally press the erase all content and reset settings button (which will mess up your device and jailbreak)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Software Update Killer is that tweak in case you're curious. Also install ResetAllKiller too while you're at it so you or someone else doesn't accidentally press the erase all content and reset settings button (which will mess up your device and jailbreak)

thanks you I was searching for them but could not think of their names.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.