New to keyboard playing...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sir Loin Steak, May 8, 2009.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Ok, not loads of money here, but willing to buy the kid good stuff if it will stand a chance of making something of itself in the music world, or just show competence with musical instruments.

Story so far... We're not musically-minded in this family, but I'm always willing to chuck my money where it might hit the spot.

So if we can use the mac and garage band to create _something_ worthwhile, then I'm up for it. Perhaps a keyboard is the way to start? And where to start?

I've been reading about m_audio's Keystation 61es Semi Weighted Keyboard... link: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TA097LL/A

It's in :apple: store.... what you think? too much (not the cash, I mean)? Too much for a beginner? A 4 y/o? A 47 y/o?

Pic:http://store.apple.com/Catalog/dk/Images/TA097_screen1.jpg

2. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

It's not a pro keyboard, but it's not bad at all either. I've used a Keystation 49 for quite some time and then switched to 88 with which I'm pretty happy.

Such a keyboard will let you experiment a lot with music. It's more than enough to make great compositions, depending on the genre. But if you're looking for a genuine piano experience you'd be better off with a real piano or a hammer action keyboard, which are both a lot more pricey.

You could say it's too much for a 4yo. For a 47yo, it depends entirely on what the 47yo wants to use it for.

Edit: at this price it's a great deal, too.

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

I'd reccomend the m-audio axiom 61. It's got semi-weighted keys, 5 octaves, assignable knobs and faders, and the real bonus for me, 8 rubber pads that you can use for drum sequencing. It's a good keyboard and not too expensive at $300 they also sell a 4 octave version for $250 (not sure about uk pricing). In addition, it comes with the lite version of ableton live, a fantastic sequencing/recording program

5. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I hear you on that. When we say 'lessons', what about the keyboard lessons that you can find on you tube, for example? Could they be enough to get by with to begin with?

If the resource is there (the internet), why not avoid having personal tuition? Or is is a false economy, watching lessons on the internet?

6. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

As far as I've seen, YouTube videos are mostly about how to play songs. It won't learn you understand what you're playing. Also, a personal tutor teaches you in a structured manner, and can point out things you'd never found out you're doing wrong.

A tutor is irreplaceable.

7. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Point taken, and I think that must apply to many scenarios of learning such a hands-on thing such as playing a musical instrument.

That said, I did view one keyboard 'lesson' on the Tube where the guy making the lesson did say that he wasn't there to teach how to play particular songs, just to facilitate the learning of how to play. I actually thought that was a sensible thing to say, and gave me a bit of confidence.

Maybe others could chip in with some views on this kind of remote tutoring?

8. McBeats macrumors 6502a

i have to recommend the axium 61 as well, i love that midi controller

9. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 on the 88 keys. Makes it much easier to use key switches when dealing with virtual instruments.

11. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

The kind of personal attention you can getfrom private lessons can't really be matched by any YouTube videos. It's not really hugely expensive and it will really help keep you motivated better. Think about it: are you more likely to practice an instrument when you have a set appointment with a real human being weekly or when you have to squeeze someyoutube time in?

12. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I ran through a guitar lesson or two on GarageBand, and they seemed really cool, so you could always start with that (they have piano/keyboard lessons too).

13. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

14. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

I think having a full 88 keys is overrated. Depending on what kind of music you want to play, you probably don't need that kind of range. I find it much more useful to have the knobs/faders/pads of a keyboard like the axiom or something similar vs having that extra octave. Plus it takes up less space.