New To Lion Microsoft Word Question...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JackSpearo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

Just downloaded Lion, and there is a big anti symbol on my microsoft word... When I click it, it says that PowerPC applications are no longer supported...

I paid a lot of money for microsoft word, how can I make it work?

thanks

2. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

What version of Microsoft Word do you have? 2004? 2008? 2011?

3. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

I hate to sound dumb, but I dunno what version I have because it won't let me click on it... I have a 2.2 ghz macbook pro...

I think it's 2004 though...

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

5. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

wow this isn't fair...

I upgrade to a better system and I'm gonna end up having to buy Microsoft word twice...

this is so unfair...

6. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Lion completely drops PowerPC support. I think you may need to upgrade because Office 2004 is a PowerPC binary. Sorry.

I did find this too...

Q: Will Office for Mac 2004 be compatible with Lion?
    A: Microsoft has made no announcements regarding Office 2004 and Lion, however, they are unlikely to update it since they have released not only Office 2008 but also 2011 as Universal or Intel applications. Support for Office 2004 expires January 2012.

You can probably get Office 2008 for pretty cheap on eBay or somewhere if you don't want to spring for Office 2011.

7. Reid Hyams macrumors newbie

I downloaded Lion and discovered that my new $30 Mac OS System won't run my MS Office 2004, which will now cost me $150+ to buy the updated MS Office version! I don't need a $30 OS upgrade if it can't run MS Office where I have countless files and use all the time. How can I uninstall this damn thing - I need to get my work done now, not a new headache...http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Holy crap some of you guys are hilarious. It's a 7 year-old app. Break down... upgrade. :)

Especially something you use so often.

9. ryrams19 macrumors newbie

I'm also new to lion. I've got word 2011. So I upgraded to Lion and now whenever I open a document in word, it not not only opens that document but the last 4 or 5 documents I've opened since closing last. It's really weird and can't figure out how to turn this off. Obviously if I open a document, I only want that one, not the the past number of documents I've worked on.

Any help??

10. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Disable resume functionality in the general tab of system preferences

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No ****.... lol. Or at least "find it" on the net.

12. ryrams19 macrumors newbie

Perfect. Thanks!

13. Brammy macrumors 65816

Also, take a look and see if Pages does what you need. It's only $20 bucks in the Mac App Store.

Now, granted, it may not, especially if you deal with complicated Word files on a round-trip basis. There's a free trial at apple.com/iwork/trial for 30 days.

You may save some coin there.

That said, the upgrade to Word 2011 is pretty good.

14. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Pages sucks with docx format

15. Brammy macrumors 65816

It depends on the complexity of the document, but my general rule is: if you need to exchange Word files, use Word. If you don't, then Pages will work.

16. Brenzo macrumors regular

The upgrade to 2011 is definitely worth it, if for no other feature than Outlook. I had 2004 and 2008 on my computer and those versions might as well been half-assed ports. With 2011, they completely rebuilt from the ground up. Much more reliable.