New to Mac, 2 issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ADreppin9, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ADreppin9 macrumors newbie

I just got my first mac recently. Two problems I'm having....

1. I use AIM, and the font from my buddies on all incoming messages is very small. This seems to be a resolution issue, but if I make the resolution bigger then everything else looks really awkward. And, I don't think AIM provides a way to increase incoming message font, only outgoing. Does anyone know of a way to make incoming font bigger without adjusting the reso?

2. On Microsoft Word, as I type, the cursor disappears, and it's not something I want to happen. I believe there is a way to fix it so that the cursor always remains while typing, but I think it's something involved with programming that I'd need someone to explain to me slowly since I'm new to macs.

Any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

AIM should have a way to increase font size. Open the program settings and check. Otherwise I would just use an altogether different client for IM, like Adium.

As for Microsoft Word. That one it would be a setting/preference too. I have no idea.

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

For #1, I would download Adium for your IM usage. It's a great program! I know you can edit the font size etc. both incoming/outgoing.

Not sure about #2... I thought it always did that. Even on Windows.

4. samcolson4 macrumors member

I agree with matthew on the first point, and as for the second I believe there is an option hidden somewhere in the app's preferences - although why it's an issue I don't know...

5. Stinkypalm macrumors member

iChat works with AIM. You can select font size on iChat.

6. ADreppin9 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Adium does AIM, and you can set the font size to whatever you want.

8. MaxMike macrumors 6502

You can always use iChat. It's built in to OS X and has an almost identical interface to AIM IMO.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Why AIM? hat is so special about AIM? iChat is so perfect I really love it.

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

That's understandable, but it's a bad program compared to Adium. Do you use Facebook or Gmail? You can be active/online on all of your accounts with Adium and it mixes them all together. It's really great. You should at least give it a try.

11. ADreppin9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried ichat, it's formatted quite differently and I just prefer AIM. I'm curious to know if anyone can solve my problem, not suggest an alternative.

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, us suggesting an alternative is a solution. Otherwise idk man. I don't think anybody around here uses the AIM program because Adium is so much better.

*shrug*

13. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Is there even an AOL client for AIM for Macs now?