Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADreppin9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I just got my first mac recently. Two problems I'm having....

1. I use AIM, and the font from my buddies on all incoming messages is very small. This seems to be a resolution issue, but if I make the resolution bigger then everything else looks really awkward. And, I don't think AIM provides a way to increase incoming message font, only outgoing. Does anyone know of a way to make incoming font bigger without adjusting the reso?

2. On Microsoft Word, as I type, the cursor disappears, and it's not something I want to happen. I believe there is a way to fix it so that the cursor always remains while typing, but I think it's something involved with programming that I'd need someone to explain to me slowly since I'm new to macs.

Any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
AIM should have a way to increase font size. Open the program settings and check. Otherwise I would just use an altogether different client for IM, like Adium.

As for Microsoft Word. That one it would be a setting/preference too. I have no idea.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
For #1, I would download Adium for your IM usage. It's a great program! I know you can edit the font size etc. both incoming/outgoing.

Not sure about #2... I thought it always did that. Even on Windows.

samcolson4

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
I agree with matthew on the first point, and as for the second I believe there is an option hidden somewhere in the app's preferences - although why it's an issue I don't know...

ADreppin9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I've tried ichat, it's formatted quite differently and I just prefer AIM. I'm curious to know if anyone can solve my problem, not suggest an alternative.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Well, us suggesting an alternative is a solution. Otherwise idk man. I don't think anybody around here uses the AIM program because Adium is so much better.

*shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.