New to Mac - Abysmal FTP Download Speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dirksqjaw, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Dirksqjaw macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've recently dived into the macverse with two feet, getting the newest MacBook Pro, and MacMini (arrived a couple of days ago), and have in general really been loving it.

With one very vexing exception - FTP Download speeds.

On my PC I used CuteFTP with segmented download (max of 8) and can achieve download speeds of 13-18mbps from my company FTP site in Germany (I'm based in the Middle East).

Now for Mac, this is where things got frustrating. I've tried virtually every ftp client known to support segmented downloading for Mac (CuteFTP, CaptainFTP, Speed Download, and Finally iGetter). I've settled for iGetter because it's the only one out of all of them that allows you to specify the maximum amount of segments.

For comparison purposes side by side with the mac, I chose 8 max.

Downloading a 1gb zip of autocad drawings.

PC = 16mbps over 8 files.
    Mac = 1.1mbs over 8 files.

Now I increased iGetter to 15 segments maximum and tried again, and was able to increase it to near 2mbps, but that's still insanely low compared to the PC.

This is on the MBP as well as the Mini, over both wired and wireless (My PC is wireless). PC laptop is ancient (4 years...) too.

I've searched and searched to see if there was an inherent default throttle on this sort of thing in Macs and nothing.

Obviously am using Lion. MBP is the i7 and the Mini is the i5.

I deal with large volumes of data every day and my company is stuck in the stone age with FTP for their satellite offices. Having to keep my old PC around to download file packs, and then transfer to the Mac is.. well, less than ideal. If you know what i mean.

So please, if anyone could offer any help or guidance in this, I would be eternally grateful!!

-Dirk

P.S. I asked our IT support about this and the response "This is why Mac's are not and will not be officially supported..." Ugh.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Oh that's a puzzling problem. I'd suggest contacting Apple support about this one. It might be a bug that would get fixed quicker with a verbal error report :)