New to mac - advice needed on software pls

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RPT2003, Jun 11, 2008.

1. RPT2003 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to mac.

I've had my new MacBook for two months and am extremely happy :)
    I co-run a small company with a friend and I'm the graphic designer/ web designer, producing all our adverts, business stationary, web pages etc. etc.
    On my PC I used Dreamweaver and Paint Shop Pro to create web pages, graphics and photos.
    Having looked at the Adobe, there is SO much out there for mac :confused: I really do not know what to buy.....

I need a good graphics package and a web design package.

Money is quite tight so I don't want to buy a 'package' that contains software that I won't use.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Many thanks,
    RPT.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Welcome to MR. :)

It sounds like you may be able to convert your Dreamweaver PC license to a Mac license with Adobe in order to save money? Just call them if this works. As for a graphics program, I suggest Photoshop and Illustrator or whichever suits your needs. I realize it's far more expensive than PSP, but imo it's worth it for what you get. There is also Gimp for OSX, which is free, and similar to Photoshop. I'm sure others will have more suggestions. Good luck to you. :)

3. RPT2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow :) Thanks for that advice...
    I really didn't think about asking to transfer my licence - it's def worth a try.

Yes, I looked at Illustrator, I do like the look but as you say lots of monies - maybe if I can transfer, I can spend my money elsewhere!

Thanks again,
    RPT

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

I've found Coda to be a fantastic HTML editor; $79 at the moment I think but worth every penny. If you prefer WYSIWYG applications though it might not be your bag.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I too am a web designer and photo editor. I am not much into the WYSIWYG but I have found a free app called textwrangler. Like I said it is not a WYSIWYG editor but you can code. For a photo graphic designer I tried the demo and like it about the full app for $59.00. The app name is pixelmator.