New to Mac - AIM Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e60insd, Sep 3, 2010.

1. e60insd macrumors newbie

Hello All,

Well I pulled the trigger on a new MacbookPro 13in. So far its been a amazing moving from a PC to a Mac.

Anyhow, I've been having an issue with my AIM that I use through iChat. It will give me a dialog box stating that I am unable to send a message. Then when I quit iChat and restart it... my AIM buddy list fails to appear. Im not sure whats going on... any suggestions or anyone else encounter this issue?

Thanks,

CT

2. celticpride678

Try going to Window in the menu bar and select your AIM list.

3. e60insd thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that... In the "Window" there was nothing that I was able to click on. it was all grayed out.

Celticpride678, have you ever had this same issue with AIM? Should I reinstall it?

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Sorry, don't have any suggestions on how to get iChat to work.

BUt I will suggest you try out Adium for your AIM and instant messaging needs. I like that one best out of all of them. To be fair I haven't tried ichat too much, but I never felt the need cause adium works so well.

5. celticpride678

Yes, I have (multiple times). I just had to remove the com.apple.iChat.plist file from ~/Library/Preferences.

6. e60insd thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... I'll try to remove that file. I tried to find it eariler today but was unable to locate that plist file.

Perhaps you can post step by step how to get to it. Sorry for all the questions this is my first Mac and all.

Thanks.

7. celticpride678

Navigate to: Macintosh HD>Users>YOURUSERNAME>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iChat.plist and drag it to the trash.

8. e60insd thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. I'll try that when I get home from work.

Also, I been doing research and it seems that some people say to change the default port from 5190 to 443. Any thoughts or has anyone changed the port on their AIM settings?

9. e60insd thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE..

So im still having trouble with my AIM on iChat. I deleted all my ichat.plist files and still have my iChat popping up with a dialog from time to time that says "AIM ERROR UNABLE TO SEND LAST MESSAGE".

Should I remove and reinstall iChat? What is the best way to wipe my macbook pro clean of iChat and reinstall it?

Sorry this is my first Mac so im learning as i go