New to Mac and got the chance to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Matt8310, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Matt8310 macrumors newbie

2008 a1304 MacBook Air. In ok condition. Few marks. Just the unit and charger for £300. Just wondering if that's a good deal.thanks

2. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I would not pay that much for a 6 year old computer with severely outdated specs. Very bad deal

Would be better off getting a budget PC laptop

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Definitely overpriced. If you look on ebay, 2008-era MacBook airs that are actually getting bids are going for £100 to £200. While there are many listed at higher prices, you'll note that non of of them are getting any offers.

I'd look for a 2010 or better. But if you really want this thing, you should counter-offer £100, and haggle for no higher than £150. All of course assuming that the system can be demonstrated to boot, the screen is in good shape, the hinge has no signs of damage at all (2008-2009 models have a design flaw in the hinge), and the keyboard doesn't look too beat up. And even then I wouldn't expect it to last longer than a year, tops, and even then only for light web browsing/e-mail reading.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Would not buy an Air that old. HD/SSD is very slow, not much RAM, slow CPU...

5. Matt8310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Laptop is in good condition, hinges seem very good. Screen is good. After looking on eBay, all the ones sold under £300 for that model seem to either missing hard drive, battery, or slightly faulty. All the MacBook airs model 2,1 2008 models that are complete and working seem to sell for £300. Not £150.

6. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Why would you drop £300 for an expired product?

That's utterly ridiculous. Everything would have been worn out by now. Tha too, severely outdated. Maintenance would dry your pockets.

I wouldn't even recommend you to buy a 2011 model, unless it was a refurb off Apple's site which comes with warranty.

Look I know a lot of people feel that urge and desire to own a mac. But if you can't afford it yet, don't buy it yet. Buy something insured that is in your budget.

£300 is too much to pay for something that doesnt work just to look cool. Any new haswell budget laptop would perform better than your pick here.

But end of the day it is your money. Do what makes you happy.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

seems like a lot of money for a 6 year old machine. pretty good chance the battery in there is crap or will be soon - definitely find out if it's the original one.

i have a 2008 macbook and it's on its third battery.
    my advice would be double your budget and get a better machine.

8. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Well I can't say much about the price - don't know the British market. I probably I wouldn't pay that much for such an old computer. But I wouldn't buy a new PC neither:)
    Nevertheless, it may still serve you for a while, so you gotta weigh in all the factors.
    Example: in spring 2012 I bought my girlfriend a 2006 white Macbook (originally bought y the owner in 2007). It cost me around 150 pounds - including a charger I had to buy on my own. It was in good condition. Last fall the small cracks on the hinge started to grown, so I took to Apple and they fixed it for free - they've exchanged the whole bottom including the keyboard, trackpad + screen frame... So now it almost looks as new:)
    Don't know if they do that for Airs (white MB's also had the flawed hinges thus the free repair).
    What I'm getting at is: if you could negotiate the price to 200 pounds that may be quite a good deal. It also depends on what you're planning to use the MBA for.
    My girlfriend uses her white MB for Word, Excel, occasional photo editing in Picasa + the usual web stuff and the 2GB, Intel Core 2Duo Mac suits her just fine. It still has battery left in it, it sustains her frequent traveling and it simply... works. I plan to get 1 more year out of it and buy her a new Mac. But even if it broke down now, then it still was I good deal in my opinion - since she has the Mac, not once did I hear her curse while using a computer:)
    But like with all used merchandise - it's a lottery, more or less. Inspect the hell out of it and negotiate all you can.

9. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

I find it very hard to believe that Apple would fix such an old device for free. That too one that is no longer manufactured, making parts heaps more expensive for them... And apparently the did almost a complete makeover?

With all due respect, I don't think this is true. If you have some pictures or paperwork, please do share. I would humbly apologize.

If it IS true that Apple apparently has no issues fixing 6 year old notebooks with no warranty, it would be very interesting news.

Please do share.

10. Tarrou8 macrumors member

It's your money to waste but that's a ridiculous overpay. Wouldn't pay more than $100 and that's assuming pristine condition.

11. Matt8310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems the Uk market is different from the US. 2008 sell for around £300. 2010,2011 sell for around £400-£450. New ones from £850 upwards

12. mattferg macrumors 6502

Yeah no, don't get a 2008 MacAir. If you only have £300 just get a PC for that money, a Mac won't have any better experience.

13. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I was surprised as well, but they did. What can I say. I remember reading about Apple replacing the flawed hinges on MacRumors, but I myself have thought: but that was a while ago, never gonna happen now.
    But it did - at Apple's official reseller and service in Warsaw (we don't have Apple Stores). Anyways, I was prepared to lose some $... :)
    I brought in the MB and the employee there said that if they have the parts, then it won't be a problem to fix. I asked how much and he gave me a look and said it was free.
    He was surprised that I didn't know:) So I left the Mac and they called the next day, saying the parts are available and should they proceed? I said: of course:) And it was ready for pick up in 3 days total:)

I know it sounds incredible - what other manufacturer would service a 6 year old laptop for free? Probably none, that's why I'm sticking with Apple:)
    Here's the receipt:
    IMG_1032.JPG

14. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Holy Macaroni! :eek:

Un-farking-believable.
    As I promised, my humble apologies. this is unreal.

But on the bright side, makes me anticipate my MBA even more! God Damn, it's been just 6 of the "about 15 days".

I don't even count down the days as much for my fiance who's away on a 2 months business retreat, to fly back.

God I hope she doesn't read these forums.:D

15. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Told 'ya:cool:

So anytime I hear someone complain:
    "Oh, but those Macs are so overpriced! I bought my Asus/Acer/Toshiba for 30% less and it has the same specs"

I reply with my story. And then after a year the battery on their PC starts being unusable... :)

But anyways - may the MBA arrive soon and serve you well AXs.

Best regards.

16. chabig macrumors 68040

Except is runs OS X, a much better experience than any version of Windows.

17. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Better off saving for a newer model. 2011 or 2012 at the oldest. A 6 year old computer would make me want to kill myself.

18. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev