New to Mac and have many questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by torabora, Apr 22, 2007.

1. torabora macrumors member

1) Why can't I delete stuff off of my external hard drive? I get an error message saying "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for "file name goes here"

2) how can I view all pictures in a folder without having to click on every one to open it? in Windows when you open one image you can easily shift through the rest by hitting the left or right arrow on the keyboard

3) when I'm watching a show/clip the screen dims too quickly how can I change that? and for some reason the screen just dims and my screen saver never came on since I got it

4) How can I close the lid and still make sure that the file keeps downloading? cause it seems like whenever I close the lid all the programs terminate

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Inside the folder, hit command :)apple: key)+A for select all, then control+click the mouse...one of the options will be Slideshow.

I believe you can adjust that in :apple: Menu> System Preferences> Energy Saver

3. rfaulder macrumors newbie

1) You need to make sure you have permission to use that drive. select it and Get Info on the drive, under the header Ownership and Permissions make sure you can Read and Write.

2) If looking at files under icon view (Not list or columns) hit Command-J and select Show Icon Preview

3) You can find these controls in Energy Saver in system prefs. Select Show Details and click the Options tab, and deselect the checkbox for dimming the screen before sleep. Sometimes is doesn't do anything, and could be addressed in a future update.

4) Apple notebooks are designed to go to sleep when you close the lid, and there are ways to keep it going, but I would suggest you just keep the lid open.

4. torabora thread starter macrumors member

Under ownership for my external drive it says read only is there a way to change that to read+write?
    For the images I don't want a slide show or to view the icon (I have icon previewing on) I want the images to open in preview app but not just open the one I click on but all that are in the folder (I would gladly download an app for this)

5) how can I require a password when I start my computer?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No need to download an app. Just Command-A to select all files in the folder and then right-click, Open With... Preview.

6. rfaulder macrumors newbie

Just select all the photos and double-click one of them, instead of only opening the one like in Windows it will open all of them.

You can also open files using Command-O (for Open) and Command-Down Arrow.

To start your computer with a password just go to the Accounts menu in system preferences, click the Lock to authenticate, and choose Login Options. Then you can uncheck the Automatically Login box, and it will send you to the login screen when you start the computer.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, under "Ownership & Permissions" in the Get Info window, expand the "Details" area and click the lock icon, then you should be able to change your access privileges.

If your external is formatted as NTFS however, you're SOL.

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

What format is the external Hardrive in? If it is NTFS, you won't be able to write, only read. OS X doesn't have the ability to write to NTFS volumes, only read them. You may need to re-format the External as either HFS+ (only the Mac can read, unless you have special Windows software) or FAT32 (Mac OS and Windows can both read/write).

9. torabora thread starter macrumors member

I believe its NTFS so I need to change it to FAT32 but I heard that you can only have around 32GB to have FAT32 but my hard drive is 250GB, or am I misinformed?

Selecting all my images and opening them in preview did work but it also cause another problem; now when I do that it opens up all the folders within the folder, so if I have an image in Sports and I have an image in the general folder Pictures then it opens both images but also the Sports folder so then I would have to close it; and the problem is that I have 6 sub folders in Pictures so I have to go back and close all six all the time

6) can I leave my external hard drive hooked to my PC and access it with my notebook over a wireless router?

7) I wanna get the save option when I hover over an image on the net just like in Windows, is that possible? I'm using Firefox so I download the same add on called "image toolbar" but when I click the save as icon nothing happens and for some reason when I try and right click then go to save as nothing is asking me where to save, how do I fix that?

8) when I delete widgets should I use an app like appZapper or is it okay to do it from the widgets widget?

9) is there a way to delete from left to right instead of deleting from right to left?

Thanks for all the help I'm just trying to get used to my mac

10. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

6) yes, but it will be slow and cumbersome. You are not limited to 32GB in FAT32 for the size of the drive, HOWEVER, there is a 4 GB limit on individual file sizes.

7) I've got an easier way. Hold the mouse over the image you want to save. click and hold. Drag image to the desktop. It's downloaded.

8) It's completely okay to do it from the widgets widget unless you are one of those people that just has to delete EVERY file related to an app. Like all apps, I believe it might leave behind a preference file, but unlike Windows dlls, this does absolutely nothing to the system and won't affect anything in any way.

9) I'm assuming you are on a Laptop that just has one "delete" key? If so, hold the function key and press delete to do a foward delete.

As for the photo issue: you probably won't like this suggestion, but I suggest importing ALL your photos into iPhoto and only managing pictures there. Makes everything much, much easier.

11. torabora thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I will import my images once I get settled with everything

Does anyone at least know what I'm talking about? In windows when you open an image you can shift between all the images in that folder only...I could do the same when I'm viewing them in a folder under list or icon but the image is kind of small compared to preview

7) the image saving dialog started coming up again but when I wanna save it only gives me the basic options like Desktop, Pictures, Documents, etc. how can I browse to the specific folder that I want?

10) when a dialog box pops up asking to Save, Cancel, or Don't Save how can I switch through the options using my keyboard? cause tab doesn't work

12. justG macrumors member

justG

Directly to the right of the text input field there's a downward-pointing arrow. If you click on it, the dialogue box will expand and you will be able to choose any folder you want.

Hope that helps.

13. Stadsport macrumors regular

You can install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G to write to NTFS drives, but it's experimental and slow. Do so at your own risk:
    http://shadowofged.blogspot.com/2007/03/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x.html#packages

You can sort folders by "Kind" and it'll place all the folders together, then you can just not click them :)apple:+Click to select/deselect individual items). Personally I reccomend just using iPhoto. I used to be very meticulous about organizing my pictures in folders and subfolders in Windows, and viewed them with IrfanView (which browses through them similarly to the way you like to). I now either just use Preview or iPhoto. It's not too hard to still set up organization. For example, I imported all of my pictures, and some of them were wallpapers in a subfolder named Wallpapers. iPhoto caught this, so I can search "wallpapers" in iPhoto and get all the items that used to be in that folder, and even give them their own album.

6. Yeah but it'll be pretty slow.
    7. No idea. If you get the extension Saft for Safari, you can just right click images and hit "Add image to iPhoto Library." I'm not sure if there's a similar way to do this in Firefox.
    8. Deleding them from the Dashboard should be fine.
    9. Fn+Delete
    ~~
    7. In the Save dialog, there's a little arrow pointing down next to the filename. Click that to get more options.
    10. God I have no idea, tell me if you ever find out. I know Return/enter will hit the button that's solid blue, and space will hit the one with a blue outline. But I'm not sure about scrolling through; I used Tab a lot on Windows, too.

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you want to view all the images in a folder, the easiest way is this. In finder, press Apple+A to select all the images, the select Apple+O to open all the images in preview. You will then be able to scroll through all the images using the up and down arrows.

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I think I know what you mean. Like when you open an image in Windows and it opens in the built in picture preview thing, and you can click the arrows to view other images in the same folder. There's probably some Mac app that has the same kind of functionality but I don't know (frankly I've never really wanted anything like that).

7. For saving an image from Safari there are a few ways to do it. First you can simply drag and drop the image directly to where you want it to go. Second you can right/control-click on it and select "Save to Desktop". If you hold down the OPTION key while doing this it will change to "Save to..." and you then select the folder you want.

10. Tab works if you enable full keyboard navigation of the GUI... it's in the System Preferences somewhere, I think under Keyboard. But a quicker way you can do it: Command(Apple)+D selects Don't Save, and I think Command+. (that's "period") works for Cancel, IIRC (I'm in Windows right now :eek:).

16. mokeyjoe macrumors member

I'd recommend a little program called Xee. I much prefer it to Preview - it does what I think you want and it's a bit more elegant than Preview. You can download it here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19978

17. torabora thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, the help has been wonderful!! :D

mokeyjoe I love you for telling me about Xee I love it and resizing the window for different images is amazing! for a second I was considering switching back to windows...j/k OSX is the Sh*t!

18. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

19. torabora thread starter macrumors member

11) Is gmail POP Mail? cause I want to setup my gmail account with apple Mail

12) Is there a way to disable widgets for a certain time to save energy or should I just not access them?

13) When I'm using my notebook how can I save energy?

14) Under the battery icon there is a "Better Energy Savings" "Normal" Better Performance" whats the difference?

15) I heard that if you edit a picture (say in iPhoto) the original file is still saved and so is the edited one how can I turn this off? or where can I find the file to delete it?

16) Say I wanna select 10 files in a row and instead of clicking each one holding down command can I go to the first one then the tenth one and hold some key and click and it will select the ones in between?

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

11. Yes, I think Gmail is POP so it will work fine with Apple Mail.

12. Widgets shouldn't take up any resources when the Dashboard is hidden.

13 & 14. You can use the presets to save energy, or make your own settings. I'm not sure if your machine has an option to reduce the speed of the CPU to save power, but generally the options are for when the computer goes to sleep, when just the display sleeps, and to put the hard disk to sleep when inactive. You can view all the settings in System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

16. Hold Shift.

21. torabora thread starter macrumors member

16) when I hold Shift it acts just like command, I can click each file and add it to the entire selection (I know its Shift in Windows)

15) anyone?

17) command + m makes the windows minimize is there a shortcut to bring it back from being minimized?

18) is there a shortcut for closing not quitting an app?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

23. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Dunno what to say, but it is Shift.

An alternative method is to click on the first item (such that you can see it highlighted), hold down the button for a moment, then with the button still held down drag up or down the list to make your selection. Works in both Column and List views.

24. torabora thread starter macrumors member

your right it is shift (I guess it only works in the list or column view)

19) is there a program I can use to video record with iSight? (cause image capture won't work)

20) what is image capture for?

21) when I wanna disconnect my wireless might mouse should I just close it or is there a proper way to do this?

22) is there a program so I can lock certain files and folders?

23) can I create a guest account if someone wants to use my notebook? (so they won't look through my stuff)

24) whats the quickest way to make a picture my wallpaper?

25. VypeR macrumors newbie

Hey Torabora, I am completely new to Mac myself and I have my own set of question to follow your questions (which helped me quite a lot too, thanks for that bro) :) ...

Now as for your 19th Q:

19> You can do this with iMovie HD
    Open iMovie HD, Create a New Project and click on the small CAM ICON, few bottons on the left of the Play button then Select Built-in iSight and you have yourself in the screen, ready to record! :)
    For a few things you can check out the help tab too, it helps at times (unlike the windows help, which never does :p )