New to mac and just cannot get OS X installed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by biglsells, Dec 5, 2013.

1. biglsells macrumors newbie

OK - I have a MA456LL/A late 2006 imac 24" core 2 duo machine. Got it without a hard drive, popped one in. Problem I am having is I cannot get past the circle slash screen when trying to install OS X. I read on here that the most common reason for this is trying to install a copy that the machine cannot run but the acceptable range for this machine is Tiger 10.4.7 which supposedly came on it and up a few versions. I have tried over 5 versions but cannot get past this. Any ideas? Otherwise, the machine works fine, it will boot a linux distro dvd no problem.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you say you are "trying versions", where are you getting these install disks? Those grey installer disks are model specific, so for example a grey install disk for a 2006 Macbook won't work on your machine.

3. biglsells thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded a few copies and burned them, thought I would try that to make sure the computer itself was not damaged before I bought a copy off ebay. After many failed attempts I tried a linux disc and it worked so that confirmed that the hardware works fine. I bought a copy of snow leopard off ebay but it had not come yet, should that install ok?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it is the retail version, yes that should work for you.

5. biglsells thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantastic - thanks so much, eagerly waiting for my discs!