new to mac and need buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dexs, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dexs macrumors newbie

Hello people,

As the title says i am new to Macs and need advice.
    I am very interested in buying a Mac. Not sure if i should get a mbp or iMac or an i7 cpu based pc.

Power wise the pc is better when looking as spec but its not always about the power.

I am a pc man and will dual boot windows as well as osx however i am into animation, web design and want to teach myself 3d graphics as well as learn video post production so i need to make sure that i can use the most up to date software in the industry as possible.

Osx is a very nice system to use and i love the way "it just works". its the money that is holding me back though. org sorry people i am just rambling now. could you please give me your thought as i need someone’s views on this.

Thank you and if i have confused you or posted this in the wrong area i do apologise.

Thanks people.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Welcome.

There are some nice buys on iMacs in the refurb store right now. You'll find a lot of refurb fans here so do a quick search for their thoughts on apple's stellar job on those.

3. dexs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice... i will take a gander now.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Welcome to the world of Mac!

For your computer, I recommend a 24'' iMac. Go for a refurb, they are the previous generation, but a lot cheaper.

If you haven't heard about or seen it yet, Final Cut Studio 2 is one of the best, if not the best video editing-motion graphic packages there is.

If you want to do web design, get Adobe DreamWeaver. Like all Adobe apps, it is expensive, but well worth the cost.

I hope you like your new Mac!

6. dexs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that. i am form the uk and i am having trouble finding the refurb store on the uk site. i will give them a call tomorrow and see what i can find. Thanks again

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Here's a link to the refurb store: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I just checked the UK refurb store, and it appears that they are sold out of everything. Usually it is only the Mac minis, at least in the US.

8. frittino macrumors member

frittino

Is it possible to buy a refurb Mac in a retail store (not the online store) ???
    I will visit UK next month and I'd like to buy a Mac since is cheaper than in Italy.
    Or is it possible to order a refurb from Apple Store Online and ship it to Italy?
    (I read in previous posts that is not possible to buy for example from UK Store and shipt to another country)

9. windels macrumors regular

windels

well, I live in belgium and they usualy only have ipods in the refurb store overhere; well , atleast everytime i checked for one

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

No, at least not in the US. Stores don't carry refurbs.

Check out the refurb store really early in the morning...

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Let's start by narrowing down which Mac you need.

If you need portability, then the MacBook Pro (MBP). MBPs start at $1600 refurbished and new ones are from $1999 and up.

If you don't need portability, then the iMac. iMacs start at $849 refurbished and new ones are from $1199 and up.

If you want raw power and like to tinker with your system (like DIY) then the Core i7 PC. However, a Mac is a complete system from hardware that has been specially chosen to work together. Core i7 PC hardware depends on the user's preference and you need to find/buy parts yourself (unless you buy a pre-configured model from PC vendors like Dell and such).

I recommend Macs because they are virus-free (and stay that way for virtually forever) and boots much faster. They save time from common PC worries like viruses, BSoD, windows updates, etc. I say go with the iMac because for a little over $2000, you get the top-notch iMac system (3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 1TB HD, ATI Radeon 4850 graphics w/ 512MB GDDR5 VRAM) which has the best performance of all the Macs (except Mac Pro).