New to mac and pleasantly surprised.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davynm, Feb 6, 2009.

1. davynm macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I am hoping my experience with apple will help pc owners and other new-to-mac people make a better decision on their new computers.

Let me start by saying I am a junior in college and have had enmity with all things mac since middle school. All my memories of mac before now have been of incredibly frustrating times with a ridiculously locked down and censored computer environment in school.

Well, since the iphone came out I have had a sinful curiosity of the forbidden apple fruit. I am now an iphone and macbook owner and cannot be happier.

I am not ready to join the cult because I feel I have a realistic view of apple as a company and do not want to lose that in case I need to jump ship someday in the future. However, I feel I can confidently say to anyone who is on the fence thinking about crossing over, just do it!

I debated heavily about buying my macbook and what it came down to was 2 main points:

1) The fact that the hardware is now unbeatable. You cannot get a better looking laptop than a macbook (I know the new dell adamo looks good and the voodoo envy is pretty sweet but in my mind the macbook is still better for the price). Also, I cannot stress enough how handy the multitouch trackpad is on this thing. The 4-finger swipe is the most useful tool on a small screen I have ever used. It's all about the day to day usability and this laptop is second to none.

2) The main point of contention I had left in the weeks leading up to my purchase was windows 7. It looked really good and I can now say that it will be very very good (I have the beta on one of my other computers). But... You can put a copy on your mac when it comes out! However, after getting used to os x for a while now I dont know if I will have the desire to when it comes out.

well, if you are considering buying a new macbook and want a non-fanboy opinion on something, let me know I will be happy to help.

-David

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your new MB and welcome to the world of Mac; may you long enjoy your new computer.

Cheers and good luck

3. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Congrats! It's been a few months since I bought my Mac and i haven't looked back.

4. felixfatfunk macrumors newbie

felixfatfunk

You Will Never Go Back

After coming off the old PC game, i can say blood pressure gone down, no fear of new Apple Apps (just done an imovie for the first time, put it on you tube first time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwDgzgRicg , using key notes regular) as once you can operate one (which is so intuative) you can operate them all.
    Problems, occasional bugs in Itunes updates and a few airport extreme/keychains but all sorted. But i had someone to talk to, rather than we only sell the software/hardware reply.

A lot of stuff can be done on powerpoint, but you try finding it! The mac really makes any presentation come alive (keynotes 09,5 stars!) for someone with basic skills and imagination.

You will be buying an imac next, believe me.

FFF

5. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Most people don't realize that when you buy a mac you are also being a perfectly capable PC

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Isn't it true that Microsoft is a big beneficiary from the increased sales of Mac computers because purchasing a full retail box copy of Windows is necessary ONLY if one has a Mac?

In almost any other case one is entitled to Windows upgrade pricing because essentially every computer manufactured by any company other than Apple does or did come from a copy of Windows. Microsoft should be very happy about the growing Mac market share, which equals growing retail Windows sales.

7. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I love it when they talk dirty! :eek:

You will be boy, and you'll squeal like a pig when we say to! ;)

Seriously though, ENJOY YOUR MAC. :D

8. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Congratulations!

I took the plunge last year with a MBA, Though I still use XP at work. Vista was the last little nudge I needed go Mac.

You will really enjoy that things really do "just work", and that you have a lot more time to be productive since you won't constantly have to fix and tweak things.

Now that you have started down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Enjoy.

9. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Congrats!! I am glad you are happy with your new technological items. The "switch" to Mac isn't as painful as hard-core PC-ers might make it out to be.

10. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

same but different?

I took my first plunge into apple with the 3rd gen ipod nano and thought before that apple was bad but since then ive sold the nano and gotten a 32gb touch, bought shares in apple and bought a macbook and love them all to death expect the shares of apple at the moment stupid economy. Ohh i forgot to mention im a sophomore in high school

11. MacAgent84 macrumors member

Buying a PC limits your possibilities. Buying a Mac allows you to do everything you want on a Mac much more efficiently, but also allows you to do everything on Windows that you did before. It is much better in the long run with a Mac.